Feb 17, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
What better way to celebrate a career-first than with a win over an arch rival and heroes of the good old days in attendance.
Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Ben Scrivens pitched a 34-save effort for his first career shutout in a 3-0 win over the visiting Ottawa Senators at the Air Canada Centre, before members of the 1963 Leafs Stanley-Cup winning team, which was honoured prior to the game.
“You put in the time in practice and you don’t change your approach if you’re playing or not playing or playing the night before,” Scrivens told the Toronto Star.
“You come on the ice, you work hard, one shot at a time, focus on the process. That way you’re ready to go in if something happens. If you don’t go in, better safe than sorry. That’s been my mindset, and it’s paid dividends so far.”
Scrivens also out-dueled Senators goalie Craig Anderson, who despite losing his last two starts, has a league-best .948 save percentage and a 1.61 goals-against average, which is second among NHL goalies.
“Yeah, feels good,” Scrivens told NHL.com. “Mostly it’s gratitude for the guys playing well in front of me.
“Any goalie will tell you a shutout is a team stat, and the guys definitely helped me out big time tonight. They let me see the puck, they cleared away second chances so much of the credit goes to them.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 4
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 13
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 33
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 78
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (78)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control