Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Today is Hockey Day in America, an all-day celebration of the sport throughout the United States. NBC will air nine hours of live coverage across its networks; here at PHT, we’re taking a look at stories of hockey’s impact across the country.
Playoff beards are great and mustaches are hilarious, but hockey hair is the best.
While it’s virtually impossible to pinpoint every great example of hockey hair, PHT aims to hit as many of the best as possible.
(Go ahead and get your mean jokes about Ryan Getzlaf‘s patchy dome out of the way now.)This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Classics and throwbacks
A generation of hockey fans have grown up with Barry Melrose’s mullet, which has taken on a more regal air now that it has grayed strategically. (via Getty)
“Captain Canada” Ryan Smyth might just have the prototypical mullet.
“The Great One” didn’t have the greatest mullet, but he was an ambassador nonetheless. (via AP).
Mike Commodore was at his best when he was just one red mass. (via AP)
The most admirable thing about Patrick Roy’s mop is that it’s endured well beyond his career. Still, it was better when it was stringy from in-game sweat. (via AP)
The saddest one is the hair you can’t see, as Kerry Fraser had to put a lid on late in his officiating career (via Getty):
Patrick Kane had an inventive idea in 2010: why not a grow a playoff mullet to supplement a playoff beard? (via Getty)
Another Kane did something innovative with his hair, as Evander Kane shave “YMCMB” into his head:
While Mike Green was the first hockey player to draw a lot of attention for sporting a Mohawk and/or “fauxhawk,” the Nashville Predators made it a bonding thing in the 2012 playoffs:
(That’s some hair-raising reporting.)
From the “never expected to see that in hockey” category, you have a smattering of guys with frosted tips and highlights. Most aren’t quite as … loud as Tony Amonte’s 2002 team photo, though.
Sometimes, it’s all about finding a well-timed photo, which is why it seems prudent to end this gallery with Kris Versteeg‘s wonderful wind-blown look (via Getty):
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (142)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)