Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Today is Hockey Day in America, an all-day celebration of the sport throughout the United States. NBC will air nine hours of live coverage across its networks; here at PHT, we’re taking a look at stories of hockey’s impact across the country.
Playoff beards are great and mustaches are hilarious, but hockey hair is the best.
While it’s virtually impossible to pinpoint every great example of hockey hair, PHT aims to hit as many of the best as possible.
(Go ahead and get your mean jokes about Ryan Getzlaf‘s patchy dome out of the way now.)This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Classics and throwbacks
A generation of hockey fans have grown up with Barry Melrose’s mullet, which has taken on a more regal air now that it has grayed strategically. (via Getty)
“Captain Canada” Ryan Smyth might just have the prototypical mullet.
“The Great One” didn’t have the greatest mullet, but he was an ambassador nonetheless. (via AP).
Mike Commodore was at his best when he was just one red mass. (via AP)
The most admirable thing about Patrick Roy’s mop is that it’s endured well beyond his career. Still, it was better when it was stringy from in-game sweat. (via AP)
The saddest one is the hair you can’t see, as Kerry Fraser had to put a lid on late in his officiating career (via Getty):
Patrick Kane had an inventive idea in 2010: why not a grow a playoff mullet to supplement a playoff beard? (via Getty)
Another Kane did something innovative with his hair, as Evander Kane shave “YMCMB” into his head:
While Mike Green was the first hockey player to draw a lot of attention for sporting a Mohawk and/or “fauxhawk,” the Nashville Predators made it a bonding thing in the 2012 playoffs:
(That’s some hair-raising reporting.)
From the “never expected to see that in hockey” category, you have a smattering of guys with frosted tips and highlights. Most aren’t quite as … loud as Tony Amonte’s 2002 team photo, though.
Sometimes, it’s all about finding a well-timed photo, which is why it seems prudent to end this gallery with Kris Versteeg‘s wonderful wind-blown look (via Getty):
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)