Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EST
Today is Hockey Day in America, an all-day celebration of the sport throughout the United States. NBC will air nine hours of live coverage across its networks; here at PHT, we’re taking a look at stories of hockey’s impact across the country.
Playoff beards are great and mustaches are hilarious, but hockey hair is the best.
While it’s virtually impossible to pinpoint every great example of hockey hair, PHT aims to hit as many of the best as possible.
(Go ahead and get your mean jokes about Ryan Getzlaf‘s patchy dome out of the way now.)This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Classics and throwbacks
A generation of hockey fans have grown up with Barry Melrose’s mullet, which has taken on a more regal air now that it has grayed strategically. (via Getty)
“Captain Canada” Ryan Smyth might just have the prototypical mullet.
“The Great One” didn’t have the greatest mullet, but he was an ambassador nonetheless. (via AP).
Mike Commodore was at his best when he was just one red mass. (via AP)
The most admirable thing about Patrick Roy’s mop is that it’s endured well beyond his career. Still, it was better when it was stringy from in-game sweat. (via AP)
The saddest one is the hair you can’t see, as Kerry Fraser had to put a lid on late in his officiating career (via Getty):
Patrick Kane had an inventive idea in 2010: why not a grow a playoff mullet to supplement a playoff beard? (via Getty)
Another Kane did something innovative with his hair, as Evander Kane shave “YMCMB” into his head:
While Mike Green was the first hockey player to draw a lot of attention for sporting a Mohawk and/or “fauxhawk,” the Nashville Predators made it a bonding thing in the 2012 playoffs:
(That’s some hair-raising reporting.)
From the “never expected to see that in hockey” category, you have a smattering of guys with frosted tips and highlights. Most aren’t quite as … loud as Tony Amonte’s 2002 team photo, though.
Sometimes, it’s all about finding a well-timed photo, which is why it seems prudent to end this gallery with Kris Versteeg‘s wonderful wind-blown look (via Getty):
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)