Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Today is Hockey Day in America, an all-day celebration of the sport throughout the United States. NBC will air nine hours of live coverage across its networks; here at PHT, we’re taking a look at stories of hockey’s impact across the country.
Playoff beards are great and mustaches are hilarious, but hockey hair is the best.
While it’s virtually impossible to pinpoint every great example of hockey hair, PHT aims to hit as many of the best as possible.
(Go ahead and get your mean jokes about Ryan Getzlaf‘s patchy dome out of the way now.)This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Classics and throwbacks
A generation of hockey fans have grown up with Barry Melrose’s mullet, which has taken on a more regal air now that it has grayed strategically. (via Getty)
“Captain Canada” Ryan Smyth might just have the prototypical mullet.
“The Great One” didn’t have the greatest mullet, but he was an ambassador nonetheless. (via AP).
Mike Commodore was at his best when he was just one red mass. (via AP)
The most admirable thing about Patrick Roy’s mop is that it’s endured well beyond his career. Still, it was better when it was stringy from in-game sweat. (via AP)
The saddest one is the hair you can’t see, as Kerry Fraser had to put a lid on late in his officiating career (via Getty):
Patrick Kane had an inventive idea in 2010: why not a grow a playoff mullet to supplement a playoff beard? (via Getty)
Another Kane did something innovative with his hair, as Evander Kane shave “YMCMB” into his head:
While Mike Green was the first hockey player to draw a lot of attention for sporting a Mohawk and/or “fauxhawk,” the Nashville Predators made it a bonding thing in the 2012 playoffs:
(That’s some hair-raising reporting.)
From the “never expected to see that in hockey” category, you have a smattering of guys with frosted tips and highlights. Most aren’t quite as … loud as Tony Amonte’s 2002 team photo, though.
Sometimes, it’s all about finding a well-timed photo, which is why it seems prudent to end this gallery with Kris Versteeg‘s wonderful wind-blown look (via Getty):
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)