Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Today is Hockey Day in America, an all-day celebration of the sport throughout the United States. NBC will air nine hours of live coverage across its networks; here at PHT, we’re taking a look at stories of hockey’s impact across the country.
Playoff beards are great and mustaches are hilarious, but hockey hair is the best.
While it’s virtually impossible to pinpoint every great example of hockey hair, PHT aims to hit as many of the best as possible.
(Go ahead and get your mean jokes about Ryan Getzlaf‘s patchy dome out of the way now.)This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Classics and throwbacks
A generation of hockey fans have grown up with Barry Melrose’s mullet, which has taken on a more regal air now that it has grayed strategically. (via Getty)
“Captain Canada” Ryan Smyth might just have the prototypical mullet.
“The Great One” didn’t have the greatest mullet, but he was an ambassador nonetheless. (via AP).
Mike Commodore was at his best when he was just one red mass. (via AP)
The most admirable thing about Patrick Roy’s mop is that it’s endured well beyond his career. Still, it was better when it was stringy from in-game sweat. (via AP)
The saddest one is the hair you can’t see, as Kerry Fraser had to put a lid on late in his officiating career (via Getty):
Patrick Kane had an inventive idea in 2010: why not a grow a playoff mullet to supplement a playoff beard? (via Getty)
Another Kane did something innovative with his hair, as Evander Kane shave “YMCMB” into his head:
While Mike Green was the first hockey player to draw a lot of attention for sporting a Mohawk and/or “fauxhawk,” the Nashville Predators made it a bonding thing in the 2012 playoffs:
(That’s some hair-raising reporting.)
From the “never expected to see that in hockey” category, you have a smattering of guys with frosted tips and highlights. Most aren’t quite as … loud as Tony Amonte’s 2002 team photo, though.
Sometimes, it’s all about finding a well-timed photo, which is why it seems prudent to end this gallery with Kris Versteeg‘s wonderful wind-blown look (via Getty):
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)