Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Claude Giroux is one very unhappy captain.
After the Flyers laid yet another egg last night losing to the Montreal Canadiens 4-1, Giroux tore into his team for their lack of effort. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there to catch the fallout of another miserable Flyers loss.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Safe to say frustration has set in and Giroux is bearing the brunt of it given his own struggles scoring goals. He has just three goals through 16 games and with the team just 6-9-1 and in last place in the Atlantic Division, stress levels are high.
Is this kind of sound-off going to be enough to light a fire under the Flyers though? For the captain it’s his first real test of leadership trying to navigate this team through a major slump. After all, Chris Pronger isn’t walking through that door.
- Report: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 7
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 68
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 57
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (77)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save