Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Claude Giroux is one very unhappy captain.
After the Flyers laid yet another egg last night losing to the Montreal Canadiens 4-1, Giroux tore into his team for their lack of effort. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there to catch the fallout of another miserable Flyers loss.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Safe to say frustration has set in and Giroux is bearing the brunt of it given his own struggles scoring goals. He has just three goals through 16 games and with the team just 6-9-1 and in last place in the Atlantic Division, stress levels are high.
Is this kind of sound-off going to be enough to light a fire under the Flyers though? For the captain it’s his first real test of leadership trying to navigate this team through a major slump. After all, Chris Pronger isn’t walking through that door.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)