Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Claude Giroux is one very unhappy captain.
After the Flyers laid yet another egg last night losing to the Montreal Canadiens 4-1, Giroux tore into his team for their lack of effort. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there to catch the fallout of another miserable Flyers loss.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Safe to say frustration has set in and Giroux is bearing the brunt of it given his own struggles scoring goals. He has just three goals through 16 games and with the team just 6-9-1 and in last place in the Atlantic Division, stress levels are high.
Is this kind of sound-off going to be enough to light a fire under the Flyers though? For the captain it’s his first real test of leadership trying to navigate this team through a major slump. After all, Chris Pronger isn’t walking through that door.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)