Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Claude Giroux is one very unhappy captain.
After the Flyers laid yet another egg last night losing to the Montreal Canadiens 4-1, Giroux tore into his team for their lack of effort. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there to catch the fallout of another miserable Flyers loss.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Safe to say frustration has set in and Giroux is bearing the brunt of it given his own struggles scoring goals. He has just three goals through 16 games and with the team just 6-9-1 and in last place in the Atlantic Division, stress levels are high.
Is this kind of sound-off going to be enough to light a fire under the Flyers though? For the captain it’s his first real test of leadership trying to navigate this team through a major slump. After all, Chris Pronger isn’t walking through that door.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 11
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)