Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Claude Giroux is one very unhappy captain.
After the Flyers laid yet another egg last night losing to the Montreal Canadiens 4-1, Giroux tore into his team for their lack of effort. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio was there to catch the fallout of another miserable Flyers loss.
“We gotta play 60 minutes and compete,” Giroux said. “We’ve got guys in there that care. It’s unacceptable the way we played tonight. It’s not just one or two or three guys. It’s the whole team. … We’ve gotta be ready for those games.
“Just no compete. We’re not competing. We’re not winning battles. We’re just going through the motions.”
Safe to say frustration has set in and Giroux is bearing the brunt of it given his own struggles scoring goals. He has just three goals through 16 games and with the team just 6-9-1 and in last place in the Atlantic Division, stress levels are high.
Is this kind of sound-off going to be enough to light a fire under the Flyers though? For the captain it’s his first real test of leadership trying to navigate this team through a major slump. After all, Chris Pronger isn’t walking through that door.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 0
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48