Feb 17, 2013, 12:34 AM EDT
It was a battle of two very good goaltenders playing some remarkable hockey for their respective teams.
In the end, the Anaheim Ducks came out on the winning end of a 3-2 shootout result against the Nashville Predators Saturday. Ducks goalie Viktor Fasth, at age 30, improved his record to 8-0-0. He made 32 saves in the victory, and allowed only one goal in the deciding skills competition.
Fasth becomes only the third goalie in NHL history to win his first eight decisions, as reported by Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register.
“[Fasth is] playing exceptionally well, and guys are playing well in front of him,” Ducks winger Corey Perry, who scored the shootout winner, told NHL.com.
Perry also added an assist in regulation time.
At the other end, Predators goalie Pekka Rinne had his shutout streak ended at 155 minutes and six seconds.
It is the second longest shutout streak in Predators history, reports David Boclair of Nashville’s City Paper.
Rinne made 20 saves.
Shea Weber added his first goal of the season, which comes in his 15th game.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off