Feb 17, 2013, 12:34 AM EDT
It was a battle of two very good goaltenders playing some remarkable hockey for their respective teams.
In the end, the Anaheim Ducks came out on the winning end of a 3-2 shootout result against the Nashville Predators Saturday. Ducks goalie Viktor Fasth, at age 30, improved his record to 8-0-0. He made 32 saves in the victory, and allowed only one goal in the deciding skills competition.
Fasth becomes only the third goalie in NHL history to win his first eight decisions, as reported by Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register.
“[Fasth is] playing exceptionally well, and guys are playing well in front of him,” Ducks winger Corey Perry, who scored the shootout winner, told NHL.com.
Perry also added an assist in regulation time.
At the other end, Predators goalie Pekka Rinne had his shutout streak ended at 155 minutes and six seconds.
It is the second longest shutout streak in Predators history, reports David Boclair of Nashville’s City Paper.
Rinne made 20 saves.
Shea Weber added his first goal of the season, which comes in his 15th game.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)