Feb 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
This match had some great goaltending regardless of what the final score might suggest. Ryan Miller in particular made a spectacular save on a James Neal shot in the dying minutes of the third period. However, that didn’t prove to be a game-changer as Penguins defenseman Paul Martin bested Miller with 2:04 left in regulation time to lead Pittsburgh to a 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres.
Here are the talking points:
- Thomas Vanek is the first player to 25 points this season and it took him just 15 games. Is he a great player that’s off to a hot start or has he become an elite forward on the same level as guys like Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos?
- Sabres forward Cody Hodgson scored his seventh goal of the season, giving him 14 points in 16 games. He’s getting more ice time with Buffalo than he ever did with the Vancouver Canucks prior to the Feb. 27, 2012 trade and it’s certainly paying off.
- All the same, the Buffalo Sabres are now 6-9-1 this season. Will a rough start sink their playoff hopes yet again?
- Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was certainly busy during the third period. He kicked out 16 of 17 shots over the final 20 minutes.
- Pittsburgh is now 11-5-0, which by itself would be impressive, but keep in mind that they’ve played 10 of its 16 games on the road. With an 8-2-0 road record, the Penguins will return home for three straight contests at the Consol Energy Center.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
But it’s one game.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
Things got interesting in the third period.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
Yeah, not a good night for him.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
This game may take a lot out of both teams.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Colorado erases two-goal deficit to send it to extra time.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
It at least seems like Jonathan Toews is shaking off bumps and bruises.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
That was fast.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
He had a big night.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
These teams don’t like each other.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
The Blues forward is usually the aggressor.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Opting to go with Mike Brown instead.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He’ll remember that one.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Battle of California.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Stating the obvious.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Could this be a key one?
Apr 17, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
A cap hit of $7.5 million this season.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin’s face haunts Philly in Game 1.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Did you hear Patrick Roy’s playing career ended against the Wild?
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39