Feb 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
This match had some great goaltending regardless of what the final score might suggest. Ryan Miller in particular made a spectacular save on a James Neal shot in the dying minutes of the third period. However, that didn’t prove to be a game-changer as Penguins defenseman Paul Martin bested Miller with 2:04 left in regulation time to lead Pittsburgh to a 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres.
Here are the talking points:
- Thomas Vanek is the first player to 25 points this season and it took him just 15 games. Is he a great player that’s off to a hot start or has he become an elite forward on the same level as guys like Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos?
- Sabres forward Cody Hodgson scored his seventh goal of the season, giving him 14 points in 16 games. He’s getting more ice time with Buffalo than he ever did with the Vancouver Canucks prior to the Feb. 27, 2012 trade and it’s certainly paying off.
- All the same, the Buffalo Sabres are now 6-9-1 this season. Will a rough start sink their playoff hopes yet again?
- Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was certainly busy during the third period. He kicked out 16 of 17 shots over the final 20 minutes.
- Pittsburgh is now 11-5-0, which by itself would be impressive, but keep in mind that they’ve played 10 of its 16 games on the road. With an 8-2-0 road record, the Penguins will return home for three straight contests at the Consol Energy Center.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Sep 16, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
Just one month after re-signing Jakob Silfverberg on the cheap.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
“Fines are meaningful. And I think it has to do with essentially being called out.”
Sep 16, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He’ll be part of the player development department.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
We pick a couple of long shots.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Kings forward “didn’t want to become a free agent and leave” L.A.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
That’s him getting tossed around by Ryan Reaves.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
For “outstanding service to hockey in the United States.”
Sep 16, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Veteran power forward is trying to return from another concussion.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Will the NHL be watching?
Sep 16, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
Sounds like he got the message.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The recently signed forward hopes to stick with “powerhouse” team.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT
“It’s turned the corner for the better as far as rehab has gone.”
Sep 15, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
It’s tremendous even if it was in a prospects game.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Frank Corrado gets ejected for that check.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
The team says he has “full movement” following a boarding hit.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Some optimism about how his knee is feeling.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Sep 15, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
More training camp invites.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
He’s reportedly talking to several teams.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 11
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22