Feb 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
This match had some great goaltending regardless of what the final score might suggest. Ryan Miller in particular made a spectacular save on a James Neal shot in the dying minutes of the third period. However, that didn’t prove to be a game-changer as Penguins defenseman Paul Martin bested Miller with 2:04 left in regulation time to lead Pittsburgh to a 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres.
Here are the talking points:
- Thomas Vanek is the first player to 25 points this season and it took him just 15 games. Is he a great player that’s off to a hot start or has he become an elite forward on the same level as guys like Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos?
- Sabres forward Cody Hodgson scored his seventh goal of the season, giving him 14 points in 16 games. He’s getting more ice time with Buffalo than he ever did with the Vancouver Canucks prior to the Feb. 27, 2012 trade and it’s certainly paying off.
- All the same, the Buffalo Sabres are now 6-9-1 this season. Will a rough start sink their playoff hopes yet again?
- Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was certainly busy during the third period. He kicked out 16 of 17 shots over the final 20 minutes.
- Pittsburgh is now 11-5-0, which by itself would be impressive, but keep in mind that they’ve played 10 of its 16 games on the road. With an 8-2-0 road record, the Penguins will return home for three straight contests at the Consol Energy Center.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Nov 1, 2014, 1:12 AM EDT
Scored the winner from a sharp angle.
Nov 1, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
Darryl Sutter spoke at great length.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Injuries piling up in Calgary.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
That’s four losses in a row for Columbus.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
This one got a little testy.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
No penalty on the play, for those wondering. Appeared clean all the way.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Folks continue to rally around Mr. Hockey.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
What is going on with the defending champs?
Oct 31, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
He’s on the left in that photo. Doing what his old man used to do.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Has been on quite a roll down in Utica.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Meanwhile, sounds like Carter Ashton makes his season debut.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The hit occurred seconds before Vancouver scored.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Oct. 8.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Could play Saturday against Washington.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
At the same time, Claude Julien admits the B’s “are still trying to find that confidence level that comes with winning on a regular basis.”
Oct 31, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
“I just haven’t come to that decision yet.”
Oct 31, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
When Philly takes on the Panthers in Florida.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)