Feb 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
This match had some great goaltending regardless of what the final score might suggest. Ryan Miller in particular made a spectacular save on a James Neal shot in the dying minutes of the third period. However, that didn’t prove to be a game-changer as Penguins defenseman Paul Martin bested Miller with 2:04 left in regulation time to lead Pittsburgh to a 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres.
Here are the talking points:
- Thomas Vanek is the first player to 25 points this season and it took him just 15 games. Is he a great player that’s off to a hot start or has he become an elite forward on the same level as guys like Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos?
- Sabres forward Cody Hodgson scored his seventh goal of the season, giving him 14 points in 16 games. He’s getting more ice time with Buffalo than he ever did with the Vancouver Canucks prior to the Feb. 27, 2012 trade and it’s certainly paying off.
- All the same, the Buffalo Sabres are now 6-9-1 this season. Will a rough start sink their playoff hopes yet again?
- Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was certainly busy during the third period. He kicked out 16 of 17 shots over the final 20 minutes.
- Pittsburgh is now 11-5-0, which by itself would be impressive, but keep in mind that they’ve played 10 of its 16 games on the road. With an 8-2-0 road record, the Penguins will return home for three straight contests at the Consol Energy Center.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)