Feb 17, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
For two periods, it looked like the story would be about two teams going in wildly different directions. The red-hot Chicago Blackhawks still won on Sunday, but the Los Angeles Kings nearly closed a three-goal gap in the third period, eventually falling 3-2.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Is this opening run good enough to make the Blackhawks the top Stanley Cup contender? If not, which team impresses you more?
- Could Chicago be peaking too soon, though?
- How would you compare the 2013 Blackhawks to the group that won it all?
- Drew Doughty finally had a productive day, collecting two assists in that late flurry. Can he finally get it together?
- On a similar note, which Kings star has been more disappointing: Doughty or Jonathan Quick?
- The Kings are currently ranked 12th in the West with 12 standings points, leaving them four behind eighth-place Detroit. Will Los Angeles become one of the few defending champions to miss the playoffs?
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 1
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 3
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)