Feb 17, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
For two periods, it looked like the story would be about two teams going in wildly different directions. The red-hot Chicago Blackhawks still won on Sunday, but the Los Angeles Kings nearly closed a three-goal gap in the third period, eventually falling 3-2.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Is this opening run good enough to make the Blackhawks the top Stanley Cup contender? If not, which team impresses you more?
- Could Chicago be peaking too soon, though?
- How would you compare the 2013 Blackhawks to the group that won it all?
- Drew Doughty finally had a productive day, collecting two assists in that late flurry. Can he finally get it together?
- On a similar note, which Kings star has been more disappointing: Doughty or Jonathan Quick?
- The Kings are currently ranked 12th in the West with 12 standings points, leaving them four behind eighth-place Detroit. Will Los Angeles become one of the few defending champions to miss the playoffs?
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)