Feb 17, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
For two periods, it looked like the story would be about two teams going in wildly different directions. The red-hot Chicago Blackhawks still won on Sunday, but the Los Angeles Kings nearly closed a three-goal gap in the third period, eventually falling 3-2.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Is this opening run good enough to make the Blackhawks the top Stanley Cup contender? If not, which team impresses you more?
- Could Chicago be peaking too soon, though?
- How would you compare the 2013 Blackhawks to the group that won it all?
- Drew Doughty finally had a productive day, collecting two assists in that late flurry. Can he finally get it together?
- On a similar note, which Kings star has been more disappointing: Doughty or Jonathan Quick?
- The Kings are currently ranked 12th in the West with 12 standings points, leaving them four behind eighth-place Detroit. Will Los Angeles become one of the few defending champions to miss the playoffs?
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7