Feb 17, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
By now we’ve heard plenty about how hot Thomas Vanek has been to start the season for Buffalo. He’s in a three-way tie for first in goals scored with 11 and he’s tops in the league in points with 23.
Explaining what makes him so good would be difficult for some people. Sidney Crosby would be a bit of an expert on the matter.
Bill Hoppe of the Olean Times Herald has Sid the Kid’s explanation into what makes Vanek such a good player.
“He’s patient. Sometimes he’ll hold the puck it seems like forever and then dish it off or find some way to kind of tuck it around the goalie,” Crosby said.
“So his patience, when I think of him as a player, the patience that he has really sticks out in my mind.”
Go ahead and start whistling like Axl Rose did now that the word is stuck in your head.
Vanek’s hot start hasn’t done much to help stabilize the Sabres at the start of the season, although you could argue his work has kept the team from having a fully abysmal start.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)