Feb 17, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
By now we’ve heard plenty about how hot Thomas Vanek has been to start the season for Buffalo. He’s in a three-way tie for first in goals scored with 11 and he’s tops in the league in points with 23.
Explaining what makes him so good would be difficult for some people. Sidney Crosby would be a bit of an expert on the matter.
Bill Hoppe of the Olean Times Herald has Sid the Kid’s explanation into what makes Vanek such a good player.
“He’s patient. Sometimes he’ll hold the puck it seems like forever and then dish it off or find some way to kind of tuck it around the goalie,” Crosby said.
“So his patience, when I think of him as a player, the patience that he has really sticks out in my mind.”
Go ahead and start whistling like Axl Rose did now that the word is stuck in your head.
Vanek’s hot start hasn’t done much to help stabilize the Sabres at the start of the season, although you could argue his work has kept the team from having a fully abysmal start.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)