Feb 17, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
By now we’ve heard plenty about how hot Thomas Vanek has been to start the season for Buffalo. He’s in a three-way tie for first in goals scored with 11 and he’s tops in the league in points with 23.
Explaining what makes him so good would be difficult for some people. Sidney Crosby would be a bit of an expert on the matter.
Bill Hoppe of the Olean Times Herald has Sid the Kid’s explanation into what makes Vanek such a good player.
“He’s patient. Sometimes he’ll hold the puck it seems like forever and then dish it off or find some way to kind of tuck it around the goalie,” Crosby said.
“So his patience, when I think of him as a player, the patience that he has really sticks out in my mind.”
Go ahead and start whistling like Axl Rose did now that the word is stuck in your head.
Vanek’s hot start hasn’t done much to help stabilize the Sabres at the start of the season, although you could argue his work has kept the team from having a fully abysmal start.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5