Feb 16, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks handled the San Jose Sharks pretty easily on Friday night, beating them 4-1 to improve their record to 11-0-3. With that in mind, the most surprising moment of the game probably came when Jonathan Toews dropped the gloves with Joe Thornton in a rare captain vs. captain fight:
As of this writing, a whopping 91.8 percent of Hockey Fights’ voters gave Jumbo Joe the win.
The 24-year-old forward seemed pretty happy to come out of the fight in one piece, according to what he said to NHL.com’s Brian Hedger.
“I’m still here and still standing, so that’s a good thing, right?” Toews said. “I felt it was something I needed to do to stand up for myself and I did it and I’m glad I did.”
Thornton has more fights on his resume, although he’s mellowed out since being shipped from Boston to San Jose.
Even if fights can give a team a boost, chances are high that the Sharks and Blackhawks would prefer their big-money leaders will avoid squabbles on most nights.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 26
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)