Feb 16, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks handled the San Jose Sharks pretty easily on Friday night, beating them 4-1 to improve their record to 11-0-3. With that in mind, the most surprising moment of the game probably came when Jonathan Toews dropped the gloves with Joe Thornton in a rare captain vs. captain fight:
As of this writing, a whopping 91.8 percent of Hockey Fights’ voters gave Jumbo Joe the win.
The 24-year-old forward seemed pretty happy to come out of the fight in one piece, according to what he said to NHL.com’s Brian Hedger.
“I’m still here and still standing, so that’s a good thing, right?” Toews said. “I felt it was something I needed to do to stand up for myself and I did it and I’m glad I did.”
Thornton has more fights on his resume, although he’s mellowed out since being shipped from Boston to San Jose.
Even if fights can give a team a boost, chances are high that the Sharks and Blackhawks would prefer their big-money leaders will avoid squabbles on most nights.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car