Feb 16, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
The National Hockey League’s leading scorer will take to the stage when the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins meet Sunday.
Thomas Vanek leads the league in scoring right now with 11 goals and 23 points in 14 games. Crosby is part of a four-player log jam at 21 points, accrued over 15 games.
“He has such a quick release, good shot, always in the right spot it seems around the net,” Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury told reporters about Vanek.
“Definitely a guy we have to keep an eye on.”
The Sabres come in to Sunday’s match-up with a 4-2 win over the Boston Bruins under their belts from Friday night. It’s a very modest one-game streak, and Buffalo will go up against the fourth best team in the Eastern Conference.
There’s a chance the Penguins could be atop the conference by the end of tomorrow.
“We know that they’re playing well,” Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff told the Buffalo News.
“They’ve probably got as much team speed as Boston. I think the depth of their lineup is just as deep as Boston. Maybe the Boston defenders have a slight edge when it comes to the back end, but I think overall they’re one of the teams that you’re going to have to deal with if you want to get to the top in the East.”
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)