Don Cherry: Penguins’ Cooke didn’t try to injure Senators’ Karlsson

Feb 16, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New Jersey Devils - Game One Getty Images

Don Cherry has had run-ins with Matt Cooke in the past, but Saturday the star of Coach’s Corner on Hockey Night in Canada came to the defense of the Pittsburgh Penguins forward.

Earlier this week, Cooke delivered a body check on Ottawa Senators star defenseman Erik Karlsson. In the process, Cooke’s left skate got caught on Karlsson’s leg, lacerating his Achilles tendon.

Cooke, who has run afoul the National Hockey League many times in the past, did not receive supplementary discipline in this case.

Sens owner Eugene Melnyk has clearly taken issue with Cooke over his past offenses – many of them resulting in suspension.

Cherry, however, said there was no intention on Cooke’s part to injure Karlsson.

“No, he didn’t do that [on purpose],” Cherry said, on Coach’s Corner, and in an online piece that was published on CBC.ca.

“It was a freak accident. No human being would do that.

“I think he was just trying to take him in there [to the boards] … it was an accident.”

1. 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Cooke is a liability for the league. He’s a sneaky dirty bastard. Accidents happen. Yes. But if I walked around blindfolded swinging a sword on a crowded dance floor and someone gets cut, can I also say “I didn’t know what was happening”

The game has more than enough risks. The fans don’t need a useless players who like to injure players better than themselves.

What goes around comes around. Cooke will get what’s coming to him.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Try playing hockey once in your life before commenting here in the future. Still going on and on about the same stupid thing that has already been proven to happen constantly in the game of hockey. Guys skates come off the ice, all the time, get over it, the only people in the hockey world blathering about this are Sens fans, their owner and the equally clueless.

• handsofsweed - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Good God. You are really that stupid.

• 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Insults coming from a town where its cool to dress up like Hulk Hogan at a hockey game really dont bother me.

• 950003cups - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM

• biasedhomer - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM

While I am not a Matt Cooke fan, considering he was one the the most dirtiest players to ever play hockey, it was an accident.

But Cherry says “It was a freak accident. No human being would do that.” Matt Cooke has done things like this before, intentionally though.

• pens5829 - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Give it a break loser. Everyone here’s tired of your whining.

• 950003cups - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Close to 30 comments on this article all on my post, proves, while people may be upset at my comments, they are FAR from tired of it. Now go screw your sister you stupid inbred hick!!!

• pens5829 - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Showing your intelligence yet again.

2. Stiller43 - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM

What a senseless, useless, and idiotic metaphor.

3. c0sm0b0z0 - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM

if Don Cherry said it, then it must be so.

4. steelers88 - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Why is this still a topic? It was obviously an accident what else is there to say.

5. 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM

If some player did it to Crosby you guys would be crying bloody murder and demanding an arrest. What a bunch of useless morons.

STOP DEFENDING THAT CARELESS IDIOT. IT ONLY MAKES THE WORLD SEE HOW IGNORANT YOU ALL ARE.

• bobhpine - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Ok all CAPS man…you’ve convicted us…it was the capital letters that did it…good job

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM

So not a single NHL player including the Sens haven’t said a word about this, the NHL hasn’t, pretty much every columnist, every hockey person in North America hasn’t blamed Cooke. All of them are the useless morons…the majority of the fans on see it the same, on hfboards, tsn, reddit, here…and lol they are the morons….

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

When steckel injured Crosby I don’t recall us crying bloody murder or demanding a arrest. We all chalked it up as a accident and went along waiting for him to come back healthy again. Considering all the experts who say this was a accident + all the thumbs down your comments generate, I suspect you should pick another sport to watch.

• 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM

When Steckel hit Crosby, you guys were crying like children on almost every blog I saw. You even boo’d the guy relentlessly whenever he was in your arena.

Nice try though.

• 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Oh ok,so all the “experts” say so. Gee it must be true then. Try using your own opinions, and not act like sheep. If it were clear cut and dry where Cooke was not at all at fault, then “experts” wouldnt be talkingabout it. THere is clearly some doubt as to his responsibility for being careless.

As for all the thumbs downs. Its all Pens fans.

(que all the pens fans about to claim they are fans of another teams)

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My opinion is exactly the same as all the experts, and most people who have common sense regarding hockey knowledge. Everyone outside of some sens fans (understandably bc it’s their superstar) and about 3-4 people who post on here know it was a freak accident. Name one JUST one non Ottawa senator NHL player who said that hit was dirty. The ones that play the game should know best, and they all same the same ACCIDENT.

6. 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

No just you

7. modellforprez - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Agreed. so cookies defense has a cherry on top¿

8. Stiller43 - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM

So because a lot of people (who have been around hockey most of their lives, and it is their profession to know about it) think something, a normal person is a “sheep” for thinking the same thing?

By your logic, whatever the argument, its going to be wrong to disagree with you.

• 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

No, when your only answer is “but the experts said so” then you really don’t have an argument of your own. That’s why you are being like sheep

9. bubblehead22 - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Seriously cups boy, you comments are ridiculous. Yup, Pens fans were upset when Crosby took a couple of shots to the head and missed two years. They should have been. Sens fans are upset and should be also, Karlsson is a great young player. The difference is the complaining from the GM and owner. The same GM who hinted Crosby deserved it after he was injured. can you say karma? The hockey press basically has had the same analysis of both situations. An unfortunate accident.

Say what you want about Cooke, he has a dirty past and is also the model for changing his game after several incidents of supplemental discipline. If he cut that kid purposely, he’s a magician. If you can’t see that then you’re an even bigger moron than your comments indicate.

10. 950003cups - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Who said it was on purpose? I didnt. I said he is just too careless to be in the league given his history and how many people in the past he DID injure with intent.

But according to your logic, I’m the only one who feels this way. So all these articles being written are directed towards me? Don Chery was talking just to me in that article? Wow! I must be the popular one around the league. Thats great!

11. sampulls - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Cups….I suspect you don’t realize what a tool you sound like. Personally, I have never liked Matt Cooke, yet I would feel like a jack@$$ if I spouted like you have here. This was an accident, plain and simple.

12. crimson1b - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I am far from a Matt Cooke sympathizer. I actually think he is the biggest coward in the NHL. Being from Minnesota, I am very familiar with his going after non enforcers, and running from enforcers, when he was with the Canucks. Remember a game against the Wild I attended in St Paul, the Wild enforcer at the time, Matt Johnson (as close to “Slap Shot” in the NHL in a long time, only talent was dropping the gloves) tried to fight Cooke, that coward ran for the hills. They both got penalties, and coming out of the box, Johnson skated (roughly speaking) to Cooke and slashed him right across the chest. Only time I have supported a dirty play like that, Cooke deserved it for his cheap shots on talent players, and running, rather then manning up. Why do I say this? I do not think Cooke purposely injured Erik Karlsson, I watched the video expecting to see Cooke doing it on purpose, but he did not.

13. 950003cups - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Ok. It’s obvious you all are as stupid as can be. Not one single person here has made a viable argument. I’ve NEVER said it was on purpose. But you stupid hicks are too stupid to realize it. I only clarified it in a post that it was careless, not on purpose.

But you can’t fix stupid, and you dumb hicks out in Pittsburgh, or wherever, are too dumb to actually read it. Not any fault of mine.

I’ll clarify it one more time for all you dumb incest hicks.

There are athletes who are dangerous because they play hard and are very talented at their job, like NHL’s Scott Stevens and (even you stupid hicks will get this one) NFL’s Troy Polamalu. Matt Cooke is not one of them.

14. crimson1b - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM

950003cups, I understand your frustrations, I do. But it was a fluke, skates leave the ice in stride. Like I said in previous post, Matt Cooke is a coward, but condemn him for countless wrongs, not a fluke.

• 950003cups - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Wow! Someone with an actual IQ!!!!! Forsat comment that makes sense.

MY RESPONSE:
      I agree Cooke did not intend to cut this kid’s achilles. However…. He is not only a proven head hunter, but also a consistant reckless danger to opposing players. He plays a dangerous role in way that does not help his team win that game, but instead causes opposing teams to lose the next game they play.

Scott Stevens and Troy Polamalu are prime examples of athlets who play an honest game where you need to beware of them strictly because of their talent of aim and strength. Troy and Scott may be the 2 single best examples of athletes who make yo pay for geting too comfortbale onthe field or ice.

Matt Cooke is a prime example of an NHL level athlete who takes advantage of his role to injure several other atheltes.

Maybe in Pittsburgh hocley its acceptable. Which means nothing since your hockey program there is as weak as a paper bag. But in the real world, the Matt Cookes of the world are usually cut from their teams. AKA Sean Avery (who is much more talented than Cooke) who was released from the NHL Rangers

15. crimson1b - Feb 17, 2013 at 4:17 AM

950003cups, I could not agree more, Matt Cooke is a headhunter. He targets stars of teams with an intent to injure, and does not have the guts to answer for what he does. He is a prime example of why I do not agree with the instigator rule, in the old days a Plett, a Secord, a Semenko, a Schultz would have made him answer for what he did. In the “kinder” NHL, those kind of guys are not allowed to police on the ice.

16. jhuck92 - Feb 17, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Hey Mr. PHT man, can you ban this 950003cups kid? He’s adding nothing useful to the discussion and is whining like he lost his top fantasy pick.

17. steelers88 - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

95003cups shut up you make no sense you say Matt Cooke is a head hunter and yet you say Matt Cooke didn’t mean to step on Karlssons leg. Matt Cooke hasn’t done anything dirty in the past 2-3 years so lay off. Matt Cooke is no longer a dirty player. Matt cooke is actually not that bad of a hockey player.

18. crimson1b - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Funny, people with usernames that point to Pittsburgh stick up for Matt Cooke. You are all delusional if you think Cooke is no longer a cheap shot artist.

19. pwilson264 - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM

iv’e played hockey for a lot of year’s, let’s face it it’s a physical game. you don’t like to see this happen but unfortunately, it doe’s i don’t think cooke intended to cut karlsson. iv’e seen may of times when i played were guy’s get checked, fall and there skate’s come up. and just miss cutting someone.

20. bubblehead22 - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Who’s a hick Jersey clown? You’ve changed your argument every time someone makes a point.

So what exactly is your argument? A dirty player was careless? Wow first time a dirty player or any player was careless??? Pens fans defending him? Wow that’s criminal? Why? Because of his dirty past? I thought we were talking about this incident? I could careless what Don Cherry says. Watch the replay. Oh, I forgot, first time in NHL history a player lifted his skate going into the boards; also the first time a player was cut with a skate.

The only one dressing up like hulk hogan is your sister. Clown shoes jersey cups. What exit in that trash dump do you live off of?

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D