Feb 16, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Don Cherry has had run-ins with Matt Cooke in the past, but Saturday the star of Coach’s Corner on Hockey Night in Canada came to the defense of the Pittsburgh Penguins forward.
Cooke, who has run afoul the National Hockey League many times in the past, did not receive supplementary discipline in this case.
Sens owner Eugene Melnyk has clearly taken issue with Cooke over his past offenses – many of them resulting in suspension.
Cherry, however, said there was no intention on Cooke’s part to injure Karlsson.
“No, he didn’t do that [on purpose],” Cherry said, on Coach’s Corner, and in an online piece that was published on CBC.ca.
“It was a freak accident. No human being would do that.
“I think he was just trying to take him in there [to the boards] … it was an accident.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)