Feb 16, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
Devils forward Mattias Tedenby, currently playing in the AHL with the Albany Devils, suffered a scare with a skate blade last night.
Tedenby was in Glens Falls, NY playing against the Adirondack Phantoms, the Flyers affiliate, and was hit in the face with an unidentified player’s skate blade. For Tedenby, it was his first game back in the Devils lineup since being reassigned to Albany.
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice got an update from Tedenby’s agent, Peter Werner, as to his condition.
“Long surgery, but we believe it’s mainly cosmetical,” Werner said. “Some nerves were cut but likely restored in the surgery.”
A long operation to the face involving cut nerves sounds terrifying and given how the play went down, there’s no amount of equipment that could’ve prevented it, unlike Erik Karlsson‘s situation in Ottawa. All players in the AHL must wear face shields and thankfully he wasn’t hit in the neck.
There’s no word yet as to when he’ll be able to return to action.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 9
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 21
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 12
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)