Feb 16, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
Devils forward Mattias Tedenby, currently playing in the AHL with the Albany Devils, suffered a scare with a skate blade last night.
Tedenby was in Glens Falls, NY playing against the Adirondack Phantoms, the Flyers affiliate, and was hit in the face with an unidentified player’s skate blade. For Tedenby, it was his first game back in the Devils lineup since being reassigned to Albany.
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice got an update from Tedenby’s agent, Peter Werner, as to his condition.
“Long surgery, but we believe it’s mainly cosmetical,” Werner said. “Some nerves were cut but likely restored in the surgery.”
A long operation to the face involving cut nerves sounds terrifying and given how the play went down, there’s no amount of equipment that could’ve prevented it, unlike Erik Karlsson‘s situation in Ottawa. All players in the AHL must wear face shields and thankfully he wasn’t hit in the neck.
There’s no word yet as to when he’ll be able to return to action.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)