Feb 16, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
‘Going to war’ or ‘going to battle’ are popular phrases in the hockey vernacular.
However, the magnitude of even the fiercest hockey games pale in comparison to the sacrifices made by men and women in the Armed Forces.
On Saturday, the Chicago Blackhawks skated at Soldier Field with members of the USA Warriors Ice Hockey Program.
The program is designed to offer wounded veterans a “recreational, therapeutic experience” through the game of hockey.
“These guys are our heroes,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told NHL.com.
“It’s an inspiration to see these guys want to come out here and play and do anything they can to have some fun, stay in shape and play something they love. Getting to share it with some pro athletes is special for them, but I think it’s more special for us when we get a chance to show some of our appreciation for what they’ve done for us.”
Added Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews to the Chicago Tribune: “We look up to them. We appreciate everything they’ve done for us and to us they’re the real heroes. To share the ice and have them out for practice with us is a pretty huge honor for the guys.”
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)