Feb 16, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
‘Going to war’ or ‘going to battle’ are popular phrases in the hockey vernacular.
However, the magnitude of even the fiercest hockey games pale in comparison to the sacrifices made by men and women in the Armed Forces.
On Saturday, the Chicago Blackhawks skated at Soldier Field with members of the USA Warriors Ice Hockey Program.
The program is designed to offer wounded veterans a “recreational, therapeutic experience” through the game of hockey.
“These guys are our heroes,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told NHL.com.
“It’s an inspiration to see these guys want to come out here and play and do anything they can to have some fun, stay in shape and play something they love. Getting to share it with some pro athletes is special for them, but I think it’s more special for us when we get a chance to show some of our appreciation for what they’ve done for us.”
Added Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews to the Chicago Tribune: “We look up to them. We appreciate everything they’ve done for us and to us they’re the real heroes. To share the ice and have them out for practice with us is a pretty huge honor for the guys.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)