Feb 15, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
That might seem like an ordinary transaction, but it’s not. Nyquist wasn’t recalled to replace Bertuzzi. He was called up as an emergency fill-in…for a mystery player.
Detroit GM Ken Holland told MLive.com that another Wings player, whom he wouldn’t identify, is also hurting.
The team won’t know until later this afternoon if this unidentified player will be available for tonight’s game against Anaheim, so Nyquist was summoned from the Griffins under the “just in case” umbrella.
Should the mystery man miss this evening’s affair, he’ll join a remarkably long list of Detroit’s inactive players: Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen (hip flexor), Darren Helm (back), Mikael Samuelsson (groin) Jan Mursak (collar bone), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder), Jonas Gustavsson (groin) and Brendan Smith (shoulder).
Of note, this is Nyquist’s second stint with the Wings this season. He played in Detroit’s home opener against Dallas on Jan. 22.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 26
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 14
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement