Feb 15, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
That might seem like an ordinary transaction, but it’s not. Nyquist wasn’t recalled to replace Bertuzzi. He was called up as an emergency fill-in…for a mystery player.
Detroit GM Ken Holland told MLive.com that another Wings player, whom he wouldn’t identify, is also hurting.
The team won’t know until later this afternoon if this unidentified player will be available for tonight’s game against Anaheim, so Nyquist was summoned from the Griffins under the “just in case” umbrella.
Should the mystery man miss this evening’s affair, he’ll join a remarkably long list of Detroit’s inactive players: Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen (hip flexor), Darren Helm (back), Mikael Samuelsson (groin) Jan Mursak (collar bone), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder), Jonas Gustavsson (groin) and Brendan Smith (shoulder).
Of note, this is Nyquist’s second stint with the Wings this season. He played in Detroit’s home opener against Dallas on Jan. 22.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)