Feb 15, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
That might seem like an ordinary transaction, but it’s not. Nyquist wasn’t recalled to replace Bertuzzi. He was called up as an emergency fill-in…for a mystery player.
Detroit GM Ken Holland told MLive.com that another Wings player, whom he wouldn’t identify, is also hurting.
The team won’t know until later this afternoon if this unidentified player will be available for tonight’s game against Anaheim, so Nyquist was summoned from the Griffins under the “just in case” umbrella.
Should the mystery man miss this evening’s affair, he’ll join a remarkably long list of Detroit’s inactive players: Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen (hip flexor), Darren Helm (back), Mikael Samuelsson (groin) Jan Mursak (collar bone), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder), Jonas Gustavsson (groin) and Brendan Smith (shoulder).
Of note, this is Nyquist’s second stint with the Wings this season. He played in Detroit’s home opener against Dallas on Jan. 22.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 61
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63