Feb 15, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
That might seem like an ordinary transaction, but it’s not. Nyquist wasn’t recalled to replace Bertuzzi. He was called up as an emergency fill-in…for a mystery player.
Detroit GM Ken Holland told MLive.com that another Wings player, whom he wouldn’t identify, is also hurting.
The team won’t know until later this afternoon if this unidentified player will be available for tonight’s game against Anaheim, so Nyquist was summoned from the Griffins under the “just in case” umbrella.
Should the mystery man miss this evening’s affair, he’ll join a remarkably long list of Detroit’s inactive players: Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen (hip flexor), Darren Helm (back), Mikael Samuelsson (groin) Jan Mursak (collar bone), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder), Jonas Gustavsson (groin) and Brendan Smith (shoulder).
Of note, this is Nyquist’s second stint with the Wings this season. He played in Detroit’s home opener against Dallas on Jan. 22.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)