Feb 15, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
That might seem like an ordinary transaction, but it’s not. Nyquist wasn’t recalled to replace Bertuzzi. He was called up as an emergency fill-in…for a mystery player.
Detroit GM Ken Holland told MLive.com that another Wings player, whom he wouldn’t identify, is also hurting.
The team won’t know until later this afternoon if this unidentified player will be available for tonight’s game against Anaheim, so Nyquist was summoned from the Griffins under the “just in case” umbrella.
Should the mystery man miss this evening’s affair, he’ll join a remarkably long list of Detroit’s inactive players: Bertuzzi, Johan Franzen (hip flexor), Darren Helm (back), Mikael Samuelsson (groin) Jan Mursak (collar bone), Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder), Jonas Gustavsson (groin) and Brendan Smith (shoulder).
Of note, this is Nyquist’s second stint with the Wings this season. He played in Detroit’s home opener against Dallas on Jan. 22.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2