Feb 15, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
A slumping Terriers squad looks to get back on track against the Black Bears.
Maine Black Bears (8-15-5) vs. No. 13 Boston University Terriers (13-12-1) — 7:30 p.m. ET
The second half of the season hasn’t gone well for BU. They’ve lost five of their last seven games and have just one win in that span. They were upended by both Northeastern and Harvard at the annual Beanpot Tournament and their defense and goaltending have been more than suspect. Over their last 11 games, BU has allowed 45 goals. Giving up over four goals a game is a good way to lose a pile of games.
As tough as things are for BU, they’ve been even worse for Maine. The Black Bears came into the season with high hopes but starting off 1-9-0 put a large damper on things. Things have turned around a bit, however, and before losing to Vermont last Saturday they rattled off a four-game unbeaten streak. Tonight they’ll hope to extend BU’s misery.
NHL prospects to watch
BU isn’t lacking in NHL-recognized talent. Senior forward Wade Megan (Florida) leads the way in goals while a pair of San Jose prospects, forward Danny O’Regan and junior Matt Nieto, are prime attackers. Undrafted sophomore Cason Hohmann is their top point man. You’ve read plenty here about super freshman defenseman Matt Grzelcyk (Boston) but junior blue liner Garrett Noonan (Nashville) is having a solid offensive year as well. He’s got to tone down the penalties though.
Others: Sam Kurker (FR – F – St. Louis), Sean Maguire (FR – G – Pittsburgh)
Maine doesn’t offer much in the way of offense but freshman Devin Shore (Dallas) joins undrafted senior Joey Diamond as two of three guys on the team in double figures in points (sophomore Connor Leen is the other). Freshman defenseman Ben Hutton (Vancouver) has had a steady first year for the Black Bears. Junior goaltender Martin Ouellette (Columbus) has taken the starting job from last season’s wunderkind Dan Sullivan by putting up strong numbers of his own.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
“It’s just going to take time,” said general manager Don Maloney.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
“The replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”
Dec 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
“I think last night’s game is going to stick with me for a while,” coach Todd Richards said.
Dec 20, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The play of 19-year-old Olli Maatta has helped the Penguins keep rolling.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
“We didn’t have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt,” said a Denver DA spokesperson.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
Also, Dan Girardi’s acting skills.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
Leafs haven’t done well since the start of 24/7.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Should be in Saturday to face Toronto.
Dec 20, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
James van Riemsdyk scored on Mike Smith… we think.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He went two years between NHL contests.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes it’s likely.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
Pittsburgh defenseman returned to practice on Friday.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Will take on the Devils in Jersey.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
“We have players turning right back into the defensemen when he’s already committed to the hit.”
Dec 20, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Acquired from Edmonton yesterday.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
“You want ‘em both?”
Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
Four straight solid starts for the 36-year-old veteran who fell on hard times last season.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
He’ll face the Panthers tonight.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
Canucks lost 4-1 to Dallas last night.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
Meanwhile, Darryl Sutter says it shouldn’t have been a major penalty.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 13
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 23
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 4
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 62
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 63
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)