Feb 15, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
A slumping Terriers squad looks to get back on track against the Black Bears.
Maine Black Bears (8-15-5) vs. No. 13 Boston University Terriers (13-12-1) — 7:30 p.m. ET
The second half of the season hasn’t gone well for BU. They’ve lost five of their last seven games and have just one win in that span. They were upended by both Northeastern and Harvard at the annual Beanpot Tournament and their defense and goaltending have been more than suspect. Over their last 11 games, BU has allowed 45 goals. Giving up over four goals a game is a good way to lose a pile of games.
As tough as things are for BU, they’ve been even worse for Maine. The Black Bears came into the season with high hopes but starting off 1-9-0 put a large damper on things. Things have turned around a bit, however, and before losing to Vermont last Saturday they rattled off a four-game unbeaten streak. Tonight they’ll hope to extend BU’s misery.
NHL prospects to watch
BU isn’t lacking in NHL-recognized talent. Senior forward Wade Megan (Florida) leads the way in goals while a pair of San Jose prospects, forward Danny O’Regan and junior Matt Nieto, are prime attackers. Undrafted sophomore Cason Hohmann is their top point man. You’ve read plenty here about super freshman defenseman Matt Grzelcyk (Boston) but junior blue liner Garrett Noonan (Nashville) is having a solid offensive year as well. He’s got to tone down the penalties though.
Others: Sam Kurker (FR – F – St. Louis), Sean Maguire (FR – G – Pittsburgh)
Maine doesn’t offer much in the way of offense but freshman Devin Shore (Dallas) joins undrafted senior Joey Diamond as two of three guys on the team in double figures in points (sophomore Connor Leen is the other). Freshman defenseman Ben Hutton (Vancouver) has had a steady first year for the Black Bears. Junior goaltender Martin Ouellette (Columbus) has taken the starting job from last season’s wunderkind Dan Sullivan by putting up strong numbers of his own.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)