Feb 15, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
The team hasn’t disclosed the ailment, but Stars announcer Razor Reaugh guesses that it could be a groin injury. Lehtonen seemed to make a save awkwardly and then motioned to the Stars’ bench for help. It’s safe to say that it’s probably a lower-body issue of some kind.
He’s unlikely to return tonight, according to the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika.
The incident occurred moments ago, so it’s too early to say if it’s a significant issue.
The Stars are in their familiar place at or around the West playoff bubble, so losing their 29-year-old cornerstone would be a huge blow. Rather than trotting out full season stats, Heika illustrated his importance in a simple way: the Stars are 7-2-1 this season with Lehtonen in net and 0-4-0 without him.
Many onlookers consider Lehtonen to be an underrated netminder, but it’s also difficult to ignore his injury history. We’ll see if this is a small road bump or another example of his fragility.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 0
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)