Feb 15, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
The team hasn’t disclosed the ailment, but Stars announcer Razor Reaugh guesses that it could be a groin injury. Lehtonen seemed to make a save awkwardly and then motioned to the Stars’ bench for help. It’s safe to say that it’s probably a lower-body issue of some kind.
He’s unlikely to return tonight, according to the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika.
The incident occurred moments ago, so it’s too early to say if it’s a significant issue.
The Stars are in their familiar place at or around the West playoff bubble, so losing their 29-year-old cornerstone would be a huge blow. Rather than trotting out full season stats, Heika illustrated his importance in a simple way: the Stars are 7-2-1 this season with Lehtonen in net and 0-4-0 without him.
Many onlookers consider Lehtonen to be an underrated netminder, but it’s also difficult to ignore his injury history. We’ll see if this is a small road bump or another example of his fragility.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)