Feb 15, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
The team hasn’t disclosed the ailment, but Stars announcer Razor Reaugh guesses that it could be a groin injury. Lehtonen seemed to make a save awkwardly and then motioned to the Stars’ bench for help. It’s safe to say that it’s probably a lower-body issue of some kind.
He’s unlikely to return tonight, according to the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika.
The incident occurred moments ago, so it’s too early to say if it’s a significant issue.
The Stars are in their familiar place at or around the West playoff bubble, so losing their 29-year-old cornerstone would be a huge blow. Rather than trotting out full season stats, Heika illustrated his importance in a simple way: the Stars are 7-2-1 this season with Lehtonen in net and 0-4-0 without him.
Many onlookers consider Lehtonen to be an underrated netminder, but it’s also difficult to ignore his injury history. We’ll see if this is a small road bump or another example of his fragility.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5