Feb 15, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
On Thursday, Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray chose to be pretty diplomatic in his assessment of Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke after the NHL determined that his role in star defenseman Erik Karlsson‘s season-ending injury wasn’t a punishable offense.
“They suggested it was a hockey play gone bad,” Murray said. “I suggested Cooke has somewhat of a history.”
His boss, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wasn’t in the mood to pull his punches.
“I’m very upset, actually I’m more than upset, I’m outraged that in this day and age this continues,” said Melnyk, according to the Ottawa Sun.
He recognized that it’s the NHL’s job to judge whether or not the incident was accident, but Melnyk doesn’t think Cooke should have been allowed to play on Wednesday — or any day — in the first place.
For years Melnyk has wanted lifetime bans to be issued to repeat offended and clearly he thinks that Cooke, who has been suspended five times, qualifies.
“This guy should be kicked … He doesn’t belong in the league. He belongs somewhere where the goons play,” said Melnyk. “Get him in the Central league. He can be a $60,000-a-year guy playing pick-up hockey there.
“The guy does not deserve … He’s got one purpose.”
For his part, Cooke said that his skate cutting Karlsson was unintentional.
“He and I were engaged. He went down screaming,” Cooke said. “I didn’t even know what happened.”
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)