Feb 15, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
On Thursday, Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray chose to be pretty diplomatic in his assessment of Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke after the NHL determined that his role in star defenseman Erik Karlsson‘s season-ending injury wasn’t a punishable offense.
“They suggested it was a hockey play gone bad,” Murray said. “I suggested Cooke has somewhat of a history.”
His boss, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wasn’t in the mood to pull his punches.
“I’m very upset, actually I’m more than upset, I’m outraged that in this day and age this continues,” said Melnyk, according to the Ottawa Sun.
He recognized that it’s the NHL’s job to judge whether or not the incident was accident, but Melnyk doesn’t think Cooke should have been allowed to play on Wednesday — or any day — in the first place.
For years Melnyk has wanted lifetime bans to be issued to repeat offended and clearly he thinks that Cooke, who has been suspended five times, qualifies.
“This guy should be kicked … He doesn’t belong in the league. He belongs somewhere where the goons play,” said Melnyk. “Get him in the Central league. He can be a $60,000-a-year guy playing pick-up hockey there.
“The guy does not deserve … He’s got one purpose.”
For his part, Cooke said that his skate cutting Karlsson was unintentional.
“He and I were engaged. He went down screaming,” Cooke said. “I didn’t even know what happened.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)