Feb 15, 2013, 1:38 AM EDT
Brad Richards went without a point in the last two games prior to Thursday.
Despite registering an assist in a 4-3 shootout loss to the New York Islanders, Rangers coach John Tortorella felt the veteran center could use some time on the bench to think about his recent struggles.
Richards was benched for almost the entire third period against the Islanders.
“Yeah, I mean it’s a pretty big hole, but I felt I had to,” Tortorella told Katie Strang of ESPNNewYork.com.
Richards hasn’t scored a goal in eight games, since Jan. 26 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25