Feb 15, 2013, 1:38 AM EST
Brad Richards went without a point in the last two games prior to Thursday.
Despite registering an assist in a 4-3 shootout loss to the New York Islanders, Rangers coach John Tortorella felt the veteran center could use some time on the bench to think about his recent struggles.
Richards was benched for almost the entire third period against the Islanders.
“Yeah, I mean it’s a pretty big hole, but I felt I had to,” Tortorella told Katie Strang of ESPNNewYork.com.
Richards hasn’t scored a goal in eight games, since Jan. 26 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)