Feb 15, 2013, 1:38 AM EST
Brad Richards went without a point in the last two games prior to Thursday.
Despite registering an assist in a 4-3 shootout loss to the New York Islanders, Rangers coach John Tortorella felt the veteran center could use some time on the bench to think about his recent struggles.
Richards was benched for almost the entire third period against the Islanders.
“Yeah, I mean it’s a pretty big hole, but I felt I had to,” Tortorella told Katie Strang of ESPNNewYork.com.
Richards hasn’t scored a goal in eight games, since Jan. 26 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Sunny skies forecast for Winter Classic — problematic? 0
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 13
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 2
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3