Feb 15, 2013, 1:38 AM EDT
Brad Richards went without a point in the last two games prior to Thursday.
Despite registering an assist in a 4-3 shootout loss to the New York Islanders, Rangers coach John Tortorella felt the veteran center could use some time on the bench to think about his recent struggles.
Richards was benched for almost the entire third period against the Islanders.
“Yeah, I mean it’s a pretty big hole, but I felt I had to,” Tortorella told Katie Strang of ESPNNewYork.com.
Richards hasn’t scored a goal in eight games, since Jan. 26 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34