Feb 15, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
Kreider, 21, had appeared in seven games with the Rangers this season, scoring 1G-1A-2PTS while averaging 10:18 of ice time per game.
The former Boston College standout was a healthy scratch last game — a 4-3 shootout loss to the Islanders — with Strang reporting he’s being sent to the Whale so he can play, rather than watch the parent club from the press box.
Kreider burst onto the scene during last year’s playoffs, appearing in 18 games while recording 5G-2A-7PTS, breaking a 59-year-old NHL record for most postseason goals scored before making his regular-season debut.
With Kreider’s demotion, it’s looking more and more likely that fellow rookie J.T. Miller will remain with the Rangers.
Miller, 20, has played in five games this season. Upon playing No. 6, the first year of his entry-level contract will kick in.
The Rangers don’t play again until Sunday — a home date against the Washington Capitals (6 p.m. ET, NBCSN) — so the club has until then to decide Miller’s fate.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)