Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
The NHL is not taking issue with the Vancouver Canucks’ decision to place forward Manny Malhotra on injured reserve, despite the fact the 32-year-old who suffered a serious eye injury in 2011 has appeared in nine games this season.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer that “the league is satisfied and has approved the team’s and player’s joint decision to discontinue the player’s participation in NHL games at this time on the basis of the player’s current medical condition and the risk of injury that such condition poses.”
The Canucks announced the move yesterday, with general manager Mike Gillis suggesting Malhotra’s impaired vision put the veteran player at risk on the ice.
“I have to make the decision and I wouldn’t put anybody in a position (if) I was uncomfortable with their ability to protect themselves,” said Gillis, “or their ability to function out on the ice and be at a higher risk than normal, particularly in today’s game where it so fast, the players are big … I wasn’t prepared to live with that any longer.”
Malhotra is in the final year of a three-year, $7.5 million contract (cap hit $2.5 million).
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)