Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
The NHL is not taking issue with the Vancouver Canucks’ decision to place forward Manny Malhotra on injured reserve, despite the fact the 32-year-old who suffered a serious eye injury in 2011 has appeared in nine games this season.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer that “the league is satisfied and has approved the team’s and player’s joint decision to discontinue the player’s participation in NHL games at this time on the basis of the player’s current medical condition and the risk of injury that such condition poses.”
The Canucks announced the move yesterday, with general manager Mike Gillis suggesting Malhotra’s impaired vision put the veteran player at risk on the ice.
“I have to make the decision and I wouldn’t put anybody in a position (if) I was uncomfortable with their ability to protect themselves,” said Gillis, “or their ability to function out on the ice and be at a higher risk than normal, particularly in today’s game where it so fast, the players are big … I wasn’t prepared to live with that any longer.”
Malhotra is in the final year of a three-year, $7.5 million contract (cap hit $2.5 million).
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)