Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 PM EST
The NHL is not taking issue with the Vancouver Canucks’ decision to place forward Manny Malhotra on injured reserve, despite the fact the 32-year-old who suffered a serious eye injury in 2011 has appeared in nine games this season.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer that “the league is satisfied and has approved the team’s and player’s joint decision to discontinue the player’s participation in NHL games at this time on the basis of the player’s current medical condition and the risk of injury that such condition poses.”
The Canucks announced the move yesterday, with general manager Mike Gillis suggesting Malhotra’s impaired vision put the veteran player at risk on the ice.
“I have to make the decision and I wouldn’t put anybody in a position (if) I was uncomfortable with their ability to protect themselves,” said Gillis, “or their ability to function out on the ice and be at a higher risk than normal, particularly in today’s game where it so fast, the players are big … I wasn’t prepared to live with that any longer.”
Malhotra is in the final year of a three-year, $7.5 million contract (cap hit $2.5 million).
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 19
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 9
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 69
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)