Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 PM EST
The NHL is not taking issue with the Vancouver Canucks’ decision to place forward Manny Malhotra on injured reserve, despite the fact the 32-year-old who suffered a serious eye injury in 2011 has appeared in nine games this season.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer that “the league is satisfied and has approved the team’s and player’s joint decision to discontinue the player’s participation in NHL games at this time on the basis of the player’s current medical condition and the risk of injury that such condition poses.”
The Canucks announced the move yesterday, with general manager Mike Gillis suggesting Malhotra’s impaired vision put the veteran player at risk on the ice.
“I have to make the decision and I wouldn’t put anybody in a position (if) I was uncomfortable with their ability to protect themselves,” said Gillis, “or their ability to function out on the ice and be at a higher risk than normal, particularly in today’s game where it so fast, the players are big … I wasn’t prepared to live with that any longer.”
Malhotra is in the final year of a three-year, $7.5 million contract (cap hit $2.5 million).
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)