Jets coach: ‘I don’t like the way we play’

Feb 15, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT

Claude Noel Getty Images

Since its start in 1999-2000, the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets have never won a playoff game. After a 5-6-1 start to the shortened campaign, they aren’t on course to end that trend anytime soon.

Head coach Claude Noel isn’t ready to throw in the towel, but he’s not happy with his team and isn’t shy about showing it.

“I don’t like the way we play,” Noel bluntly said, according to the Winnipeg Sun. “I just don’t think that we play hard enough. We have to play hard.

“We have to win more battles and we have to play with way more urgency. If you’re asking me if I’m happy, we’re okay. We’re one game below .500. There isn’t a panic or anything, but we know we can get better, we know we can play better.”

Jets forward Blake Wheeler and captain Andrew Ladd both think that part of the problem is the team’s lack of consistency.

Things won’t get any easier for Winnipeg on Friday when they take on the Pittsburgh Penguins, but on the plus side, it looks like defenseman Zach Bogosian (wrist) is ready to make his season debut. The Jets also have 24-year-old forward Eric Tangradi, who they recently acquired from Pittsburgh after dealing Alexei Ponikarovsky in a separate trade.

“Tangradi is a younger player and kind of plays the same way (as Ponikarovsky). I know our people like him. I’ve seen him play and I’ve coached against him a little bit,” said Noel.

“He’s a young guy with good size. When I watch him play, I see some good things and I see some other things that are okay. I’ll be looking for some consistency in his play. That sometimes comes with maturity.”

Maybe those additions will be the difference for the Jets going forward.

Latest Posts
  1. Struggling Sharks bump Pavelski down to third line

Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

San Jose Sharks v New York Rangers Getty Images

San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.

2. Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL

Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

Washington Capitals v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.

3. With 3-on-3 overtime, only two out of 16 AHL games have gone to shootout

Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

AHLlogo

Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.

4. BizNasty signs with the Devils (the ones in Wales)

Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Paul Bissonnette Getty Images

Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.

5. Goalie nods: Gibson returns for Anaheim

Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT

John Gibson Getty Images

All the news and notes from the blue paint…

6. Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’

Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”

7. Roy ‘not nervous about Xs and Os,’ says slumping Avs need to be better individually

Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Patrick Roy Patrick Roy

“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”

8. Hextall: ‘There’s not a lot out there’ to bolster depleted Flyers defense

Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Flyers Draft Hockey AP

“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”

9. Dallas getting greener on D, but Ruff says issues are on him

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

Lindy Ruff Lindy Ruff

“I’m going to focus on the good and try to clean up the bad parts. That’s my job.”

10. Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.

11. Video: Hitch hammers the Blues: ‘This is a wake-up call’

Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six Getty Images

“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”

12. Report: Granlund extension in the works

Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT

Mikael Granlund #64 of the Minnesota Wild skates against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on February 1, 2013 in Anaheim, California.
(January 31, 2013 - Source: Jeff Gross/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The Wild center becomes a restricted free agent after this season.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive