Feb 15, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Former junior hockey coach Graham James has had his two-year prison sentence increased to five years for sexually assaulting two of his former teenage players, one of which was ex-NHL star Theoren Fleury.
Per the Winnipeg Free Press, the Manitoba Court of Appeal ruled today that the initial punishment was unfit and that there were errors made by the sentencing judge that needed to be overturned.
The original ruling, made in March of last year, was widely criticized by the Canadian public as too lenient. James’ other victim, Todd Holt, called it “nothing short of a national travesty.”
James was given a 3.5-year prison sentence (he served 18 months) in 1997 for sexually assaulting two other former players.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
For the EIHL’s Belfast Giants.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Just one point in his last five games.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Click for video proof.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
St. Louis’ health woes continue.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
“So we need to get better or things are going to change around here probably sooner rather than later.”
Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
We should find out after tonight’s game.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s won three of its last four.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He appeared in 36 games last year.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
If you’re curious what a buyout would cost the Wings, click on the post.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Wild still suffering from Monday’s loss to the Rangers.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
After playing a man short on Tuesday in Philly.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Some good news for Edmonton on the injury front.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
If he could get going, Dallas wouldn’t be as reliant on its top line.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)