Feb 15, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
According to the Denver Post, Giguere won’t be in uniform for Saturday’s game in Edmonton against the Oilers. A team spokesman said the veteran goalie is expected to re-join the team on Sunday, however.
Giguere, 35, has a 2-0-0 record this year with a 2.48 GAA and .919 save percentage. His appearances have been limited this year due to Colorado head coach Joe Sacco giving the majority of minutes to Semyon Varlamov.
As for the temporary backup gig while Giguere is away, the Avs have called up Calvin Pickard from AHL Lake Erie to fill the void.
The 49th overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Pickard has yet to make his NHL debut and spent all of last season with WHL Seattle. He’s appeared in 29 games for the Monsters this year, posting a 2.71 GAA and .911 save percentage.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 29
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)