Feb 15, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Former Atlanta Thrashers goalie Michael Garnett, currently plying his trade for KHL club Traktor Chelyabinsk, said he was ‘terrified’ of the meteor that exploded over Russia on Friday morning.
“My whole apartment was just bombarded,” Garnett told Chris Kitching of CP24.com. “It was so loud, it was this huge bang. I jumped out of bed and I was terrified.”
Chelyabinsk is situated near the Ural Mountains, approximately 950 miles east of Moscow.
The meteor caused significant damage to Traktor’s arena — the Traktor Sport Palace — according to multiple reports.
The KHL has addressed the situation and released the following statement on the league website:
The meteor shower which struck Chelyabinsk and its environs has also caused some disruption to the hockey season schedule.
The emergency services have confirmed that the walls of the Arena Traktor were among those structures to suffer damage, and therefore large-scale events at the stadium have been postponed.
The sporting facilities will undergo an inspection by experts to assess the readiness of the arena to return to full operational use.
Traktor, which has already been assured of a top-four spot in the KHL’s Eastern Conference, was set to begin the playoffs with home games on Feb. 21 and 22.
The team is on the road for its final regular season contest, so its remaining schedule will not be interrupted.
As for Garnett, his building was damaged but he managed to avoid injury.
“My light fixtures were shaking, one of my vents blew out and there was debris on the ground,” he told CP24. “I didn’t know what was happening.
“I was just scared.”
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)