Feb 15, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
Former Atlanta Thrashers goalie Michael Garnett, currently plying his trade for KHL club Traktor Chelyabinsk, said he was ‘terrified’ of the meteor that exploded over Russia on Friday morning.
“My whole apartment was just bombarded,” Garnett told Chris Kitching of CP24.com. “It was so loud, it was this huge bang. I jumped out of bed and I was terrified.”
Chelyabinsk is situated near the Ural Mountains, approximately 950 miles east of Moscow.
The meteor caused significant damage to Traktor’s arena — the Traktor Sport Palace — according to multiple reports.
The KHL has addressed the situation and released the following statement on the league website:
The meteor shower which struck Chelyabinsk and its environs has also caused some disruption to the hockey season schedule.
The emergency services have confirmed that the walls of the Arena Traktor were among those structures to suffer damage, and therefore large-scale events at the stadium have been postponed.
The sporting facilities will undergo an inspection by experts to assess the readiness of the arena to return to full operational use.
Traktor, which has already been assured of a top-four spot in the KHL’s Eastern Conference, was set to begin the playoffs with home games on Feb. 21 and 22.
The team is on the road for its final regular season contest, so its remaining schedule will not be interrupted.
As for Garnett, his building was damaged but he managed to avoid injury.
“My light fixtures were shaking, one of my vents blew out and there was debris on the ground,” he told CP24. “I didn’t know what was happening.
“I was just scared.”
Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere remains undefeated.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EST
Watch the video to decide for yourself.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Blackhawks have now lost three in a row.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Phoenix goes to Vancouver shorthanded.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
Columbus dominated Minnesota 4-0 on Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Recalled forward Zach Boychuk played Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
After 15 seasons and two Stanley Cup victories.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Worse yet, another high Tampa Bay draft pick delivered the blow.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
According to Fox Sports Detroit.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Damaged defense in Dallas.
Dec 6, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Meanwhile, Bryan Bickell might resume skating next week.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
A roster shuffle is expected.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane like where this is going.
Dec 6, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
In which we ask the question, does Team Canada need a player like Milan Lucic?
Dec 6, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
Tough break for the Swedish defenseman.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
“I’m sure after a little while I won’t even notice it.”
Dec 6, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Veteran defenseman enjoyed his best years in Colorado.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
Boston blueliner was hurt vs. Montreal last night.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)