Feb 15, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
Former Atlanta Thrashers goalie Michael Garnett, currently plying his trade for KHL club Traktor Chelyabinsk, said he was ‘terrified’ of the meteor that exploded over Russia on Friday morning.
“My whole apartment was just bombarded,” Garnett told Chris Kitching of CP24.com. “It was so loud, it was this huge bang. I jumped out of bed and I was terrified.”
Chelyabinsk is situated near the Ural Mountains, approximately 950 miles east of Moscow.
The meteor caused significant damage to Traktor’s arena — the Traktor Sport Palace — according to multiple reports.
The KHL has addressed the situation and released the following statement on the league website:
The meteor shower which struck Chelyabinsk and its environs has also caused some disruption to the hockey season schedule.
The emergency services have confirmed that the walls of the Arena Traktor were among those structures to suffer damage, and therefore large-scale events at the stadium have been postponed.
The sporting facilities will undergo an inspection by experts to assess the readiness of the arena to return to full operational use.
Traktor, which has already been assured of a top-four spot in the KHL’s Eastern Conference, was set to begin the playoffs with home games on Feb. 21 and 22.
The team is on the road for its final regular season contest, so its remaining schedule will not be interrupted.
As for Garnett, his building was damaged but he managed to avoid injury.
“My light fixtures were shaking, one of my vents blew out and there was debris on the ground,” he told CP24. “I didn’t know what was happening.
“I was just scared.”
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)