Feb 15, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
Former Atlanta Thrashers goalie Michael Garnett, currently plying his trade for KHL club Traktor Chelyabinsk, said he was ‘terrified’ of the meteor that exploded over Russia on Friday morning.
“My whole apartment was just bombarded,” Garnett told Chris Kitching of CP24.com. “It was so loud, it was this huge bang. I jumped out of bed and I was terrified.”
Chelyabinsk is situated near the Ural Mountains, approximately 950 miles east of Moscow.
The meteor caused significant damage to Traktor’s arena — the Traktor Sport Palace — according to multiple reports.
The KHL has addressed the situation and released the following statement on the league website:
The meteor shower which struck Chelyabinsk and its environs has also caused some disruption to the hockey season schedule.
The emergency services have confirmed that the walls of the Arena Traktor were among those structures to suffer damage, and therefore large-scale events at the stadium have been postponed.
The sporting facilities will undergo an inspection by experts to assess the readiness of the arena to return to full operational use.
Traktor, which has already been assured of a top-four spot in the KHL’s Eastern Conference, was set to begin the playoffs with home games on Feb. 21 and 22.
The team is on the road for its final regular season contest, so its remaining schedule will not be interrupted.
As for Garnett, his building was damaged but he managed to avoid injury.
“My light fixtures were shaking, one of my vents blew out and there was debris on the ground,” he told CP24. “I didn’t know what was happening.
“I was just scared.”
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)