Feb 15, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
At some point, the question following Viktor Fasth might change from “Is he for real?” to “What took the NHL so long to find him?”
The 30-year-old “rookie” improved his career-opening record to 7-0-0 as the Anaheim Ducks dispatched the Detroit Red Wings 5-2 on Friday. Fasth stopped 26 out of 28 shots against a Red Wings lineup that lacked Pavel Datsyuk.
The Ducks strengthened their grip on the Pacific Division lead to 21 points, placing them second overall in the West behind the even-hotter Chicago Blackhawks. (They’re also tied for second in the NHL with the New Jersey Devils, who also have 21 points.)
What’s especially impressive is that a road swing isn’t slowing them down; they’ve won four out of five contests with one away contest left in the six-game trip (tomorrow against the Predators in Nashville).
While the Teemu Selanne-Saku Koivu-Bobby Ryan remained hot, the scary thing for the rest of the league is that Corey Perry showed signs of breaking out of his early slump. He scored his second goal of the season and added an assist as part of a more varied Ducks attack.
The latest update from the OC Register is that Jonas Hiller still needs time to recover from his lower-body injury. The Ducks might not be too anxious about that, although with a back-to-back game scheduled, Bruce Boudreau might face a tough choice in net.
(If he opts to rest Fasth, they’d start journeyman Jeff Deslauriers.)
Dec 20, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He went two years between NHL contests.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes it’s likely.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
Pittsburgh defenseman returned to practice on Friday.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Will take on the Devils in Jersey.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
“We have players turning right back into the defensemen when he’s already committed to the hit.”
Dec 20, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Acquired from Edmonton yesterday.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
“You want ‘em both?”
Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
Four straight solid starts for the 36-year-old veteran who fell on hard times last season.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
He’ll face the Panthers tonight.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
Canucks lost 4-1 to Dallas last night.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
Meanwhile, Darryl Sutter says it shouldn’t have been a major penalty.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Impressing a legend is lofty praise.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:36 AM EST
He won the Stanley Cup and an Olympic bronze medal.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl was injured on the play.
Dec 20, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Patrick Marleau spoiled it.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Kings captain was suspended in April.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Not slacking off following that contract extension.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Toronto won 2-1 (SO).
Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
His Goal of the Year entry …
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 5
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 60
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 61
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)