Feb 15, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
At some point, the question following Viktor Fasth might change from “Is he for real?” to “What took the NHL so long to find him?”
The 30-year-old “rookie” improved his career-opening record to 7-0-0 as the Anaheim Ducks dispatched the Detroit Red Wings 5-2 on Friday. Fasth stopped 26 out of 28 shots against a Red Wings lineup that lacked Pavel Datsyuk.
The Ducks strengthened their grip on the Pacific Division lead to 21 points, placing them second overall in the West behind the even-hotter Chicago Blackhawks. (They’re also tied for second in the NHL with the New Jersey Devils, who also have 21 points.)
What’s especially impressive is that a road swing isn’t slowing them down; they’ve won four out of five contests with one away contest left in the six-game trip (tomorrow against the Predators in Nashville).
While the Teemu Selanne-Saku Koivu-Bobby Ryan remained hot, the scary thing for the rest of the league is that Corey Perry showed signs of breaking out of his early slump. He scored his second goal of the season and added an assist as part of a more varied Ducks attack.
The latest update from the OC Register is that Jonas Hiller still needs time to recover from his lower-body injury. The Ducks might not be too anxious about that, although with a back-to-back game scheduled, Bruce Boudreau might face a tough choice in net.
(If he opts to rest Fasth, they’d start journeyman Jeff Deslauriers.)
Mar 28, 2015, 2:16 AM EDT
A round-up of scores from Friday’s NCAA action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)