Feb 15, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke faced a throng of reporters today in Winnipeg prior to tonight’s Penguins-Jets game.
Obviously, everyone wanted to know what Cooke had to say two days after his skate blade cut Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson’s Achilles’ tendon, ending the 22-year-old’s season.
Per the Winnipeg Sun, Cooke said he texted Karlsson, but “whether or not he responds to me, I understand. At the end of the day, it was a freak, unfortunate accident and I can’t control anything else but that.”
Cooke also said he understands Senators owner Eugene Melnyk’s frustration, though he was “sorry” Melnyk feels Cooke doesn’t belong in the NHL.
Clearly, the 34-year-old knows his reputation precedes him, but he says this incident isn’t like the ones that earned him the reputation.
“This is different than it was in the past for me,” he said. “I know where my head is and how I feel about the play and that’s what’s most important.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)