Feb 15, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
With the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi a year away, many are already speculating what the rosters will look like for the men’s hockey competition.
That includes Team Canada and, most specifically, the goaltending position, where names such as Carey Price, Cam Ward, Roberto Luongo, Marc-Andre Fleury, Mike Smith and Corey Crawford have been bandied about.
But what about Martin Brodeur?
“The Olympics was a great honor for me to represent the country. If I’m asked, I’ll be glad to take up the challenge,” he told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “But there are a lot of young goalies doing well in this league who deserve the chance before I do.”
Brodeur is off to a solid start this season (6-2-2. 2.36 GAA, .908 save percentage) and backstopped the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals a year ago.
The 40-year-old netminder has also represented Canada on numerous occasions at the international level, winning two Olympic golds (2002, 2010) and the 2004 World Cup.
The X-factor would be what role Brodeur would play — and be willing to accept — at Sochi.
He could fill the second/third-string role and act as a veteran mentor to whomever starts, not unlike what then-37-year-old Ed Belfour did for Team Canada at the ’02 games in Salt Lake.
Whatever the case, Brodeur said he’s more than willing to represent his country once again.
“If they feel it’s me,” he said, “I’ll be there.”
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist got that 1-0 lead back.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“No news is bad news” for the veteran forward.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Also: a fun story from Mike Milbury’s playing days.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
It appears that the health of “Mr. Hockey” has been improving.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He hopes to end his scoring slump against Detroit tonight.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Can Alex Ovechkin break his cold streak?
Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Markus Granlund gets called up amid many injuries.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
“Right now, the playing situation is out of my control.”
Oct 29, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Punished for making the head the primary point of contact.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Colorado has just two wins in its first 10 outings.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Oct 29, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Less (ice time) may mean more (points) for Mike Green.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)