Feb 15, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues got back on track with a 4-3 OT win against the Detroit Red Wings, but they might be without their captain against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
David Backes left Thursday’s practice with a groin injury and while he did make through today’s practice, the St. Louis Dispatch said he skated gingerly during that workout. The two-way forward is considered a game-time decision.
“There was a little bit of a strain before the day,” Backes said. “It was actually feeling better than it had in a while. But I think I got a little bit too ahead of myself. But again, we’re hockey players, we fight through things like that and we’ll be fine.”
If he ends up sitting, it would end a solid little streak. Considering his physical style of play, it’s impressive that the 28-year-old American has played in 207 consecutive games. (He hasn’t sit out a game since the Blues faced the Flames on Jan. 25, 2010.)
“Knock on wood, it’s been a couple of years,” Backes said. “But there’s a smartness factor, too, of can I play? Yeah. Do you want to risk not letting it heal? We’ll see. We’ll make an educated decision.”
Head coach Ken Hitchcock said he thinks Backes will be ready to go, but we shall see.
Backes isn’t the only valuable forward who might be less than 100 percent. Alexander Steen is fighting through an illness but is expected to play on Friday.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)