Feb 15, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues got back on track with a 4-3 OT win against the Detroit Red Wings, but they might be without their captain against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
David Backes left Thursday’s practice with a groin injury and while he did make through today’s practice, the St. Louis Dispatch said he skated gingerly during that workout. The two-way forward is considered a game-time decision.
“There was a little bit of a strain before the day,” Backes said. “It was actually feeling better than it had in a while. But I think I got a little bit too ahead of myself. But again, we’re hockey players, we fight through things like that and we’ll be fine.”
If he ends up sitting, it would end a solid little streak. Considering his physical style of play, it’s impressive that the 28-year-old American has played in 207 consecutive games. (He hasn’t sit out a game since the Blues faced the Flames on Jan. 25, 2010.)
“Knock on wood, it’s been a couple of years,” Backes said. “But there’s a smartness factor, too, of can I play? Yeah. Do you want to risk not letting it heal? We’ll see. We’ll make an educated decision.”
Head coach Ken Hitchcock said he thinks Backes will be ready to go, but we shall see.
Backes isn’t the only valuable forward who might be less than 100 percent. Alexander Steen is fighting through an illness but is expected to play on Friday.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)