Feb 14, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Detroit’s injury situation is going from bad to worse.
Already without the services of a number of key players, the Wings got more bad news on Wednesday when forward Todd Bertuzzi was admitted to hospital with severe back pain.
The 38-year-old has missed Detroit’s last three games with his chronically-injured back and, following a 5-3 win over St. Louis last Thursday, “could barely walk” according to the Detroit Free Press.
“Bert’s back has progressively been bothering him,” Wings GM Ken Holland explained. “He’s out for a while, but I don’t know what awhile is.”
Here’s more, from the Free Press:
Holland said surgery “is a last resort. No one is rushing into surgery.” Surgery would mean Bertuzzi is done for the season.
Bertuzzi, 38, has a history of back problems, dating to a herniated disk in 2006 that required surgery, sidelining him as he was traded from Florida to Detroit in March 2007. He missed five games in January 2009, then with Calgary, because of back pain.
Bertuzzi is in the first of a two-year, $4.15 million extension signed with Detroit in February. He has an average annual cap hit of $2.075 million. Given that he’s 38 and the injury appears to be severe, he could be a candidate to go on long-term injured reserve.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
The players’ union and Board of Governors will vote near the end of the exhibition campaign.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Detroit could have quite the sports and entertainment district.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
His choice. Wasn’t required to go.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Canada last hosted in 2012.
Jun 19, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
“He’s forechecked, done well in the battles as far as trying to come up with the puck, all the things we ask him to do.”
Jun 19, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Trio was huge against L.A. in the Western Conference finals.
Jun 19, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
But let’s just wait and see for sure.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Despite recent reports.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
News and notes entering Wednesday’s Stanley Cup Final showdown — will Boston continue to stymie the power play?
Jun 19, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with AHL Peoria.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
GM David Poile might be the busiest man in hockey.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Based on a couple of reports, the answer appears to be yes.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
“If you move up, there’s a chance to maybe get that better player.”
Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The duo spent the last three seasons together in Vancouver.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
He’ll be in charge of working with defensemen.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
Chicago has once again found themselves behind the Bruins.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Both were scheduled to become restricted free agents this summer.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
Ken Cruise showed off his work at Game 3.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Boston has a 2-1 series lead.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead