Feb 14, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray addressed the media this afternoon, roughly 14 hours after learning star defenseman Erik Karlsson would be lost for the season after suffering an Achilles laceration against Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.
He didn’t bother mincing words.
“Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70 percent cut in his Achilles, and recovery is 3-4 months,” Murray said. “His year is finished at this time.”
TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes that the silver lining — if there is one — is that Karlsson’s Achilles wasn’t severed completely.
Repairing a 100 percent cut apparently requires a “shortening” of the tendon, which can complicate the recovery process.
In his address, Murray also mentioned he spoke to NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan after the league ruled there would be no supplemental discipline for Matt Cooke, the Penguins forward that lacerated Karlsson’s Achilles on a second-period hit.
“They suggested it was a hockey play gone bad,” Murray said. “I suggested Cooke has somewhat of a history.”
In other news from Murray’s presser:
— On trying to replace Karlsson via trade: “I’ve made some calls about different players. Nobody willing to give me a player for a player not in the league yet,” he explained. “I don’t want to give up the best prospect in my organization for a short-term guy here.” Murray also said he doesn’t want to give up first-round picks.
— He said Karlsson wasn’t wearing the protective Kevlar socks that more NHLers have turned to in recent years. Detroit forward Valtteri Filppula became the first Wing to wear them last season after sustaining a skate blade cut on his shin in December.
— He also added that Karlsson was “angry” about the incident but said the reigning Norris Trophy winner would be fine. “He’s a strong guy, and he’s confident,” Murray explained.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”
Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EST
Has appeared in 12 games for Minnesota this season.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Didn’t get the power-play time in Toronto.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST
Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Starting tonight in New Jersey.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)