Feb 14, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray addressed the media this afternoon, roughly 14 hours after learning star defenseman Erik Karlsson would be lost for the season after suffering an Achilles laceration against Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.
He didn’t bother mincing words.
“Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70 percent cut in his Achilles, and recovery is 3-4 months,” Murray said. “His year is finished at this time.”
TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes that the silver lining — if there is one — is that Karlsson’s Achilles wasn’t severed completely.
Repairing a 100 percent cut apparently requires a “shortening” of the tendon, which can complicate the recovery process.
In his address, Murray also mentioned he spoke to NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan after the league ruled there would be no supplemental discipline for Matt Cooke, the Penguins forward that lacerated Karlsson’s Achilles on a second-period hit.
“They suggested it was a hockey play gone bad,” Murray said. “I suggested Cooke has somewhat of a history.”
In other news from Murray’s presser:
– On trying to replace Karlsson via trade: “I’ve made some calls about different players. Nobody willing to give me a player for a player not in the league yet,” he explained. “I don’t want to give up the best prospect in my organization for a short-term guy here.” Murray also said he doesn’t want to give up first-round picks.
– He said Karlsson wasn’t wearing the protective Kevlar socks that more NHLers have turned to in recent years. Detroit forward Valtteri Filppula became the first Wing to wear them last season after sustaining a skate blade cut on his shin in December.
– He also added that Karlsson was “angry” about the incident but said the reigning Norris Trophy winner would be fine. “He’s a strong guy, and he’s confident,” Murray explained.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)