Sens GM Murray on Karlsson: ‘His year is finished’

Feb 14, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT

Bryan Murray AP

Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray addressed the media this afternoon, roughly 14 hours after learning star defenseman Erik Karlsson would be lost for the season after suffering an Achilles laceration against Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.

He didn’t bother mincing words.

“Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70 percent cut in his Achilles, and recovery is 3-4 months,” Murray said. “His year is finished at this time.”

TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes that the silver lining — if there is one — is that Karlsson’s Achilles wasn’t severed completely.

Repairing a 100 percent cut apparently requires a “shortening” of the tendon, which can complicate the recovery process.

In his address, Murray also mentioned he spoke to NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan after the league ruled there would be no supplemental discipline for Matt Cooke, the Penguins forward that lacerated Karlsson’s Achilles on a second-period hit.

“They suggested it was a hockey play gone bad,” Murray said. “I suggested Cooke has somewhat of a history.”

This remark is similar to what the Sens GM said immediately following Wednesday’s loss — “It’s Matt Cooke. What else should I say?”

In other news from Murray’s presser:

On trying to replace Karlsson via trade: “I’ve made some calls about different players. Nobody willing to give me a player for a player not in the league yet,” he explained. “I don’t want to give up the best prospect in my organization for a short-term guy here.” Murray also said he doesn’t want to give up first-round picks.

– He said Karlsson wasn’t wearing the protective Kevlar socks that more NHLers have turned to in recent years. Detroit forward Valtteri Filppula became the first Wing to wear them last season after sustaining a skate blade cut on his shin in December.

– He also added that Karlsson was “angry” about the incident but said the reigning Norris Trophy winner would be fine. “He’s a strong guy, and he’s confident,” Murray explained.

1. nosefacekillah - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Lets hope Karlsson comes back in top shape next season. Another season ruined by one of the worst people in the NHL.

• elvispocomo - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

The irony is right in front of your face.

• loinstache - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Down him all you want, it IS ironic to make that comment using Marchand as a handle

• elvispocomo - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

• ewoods6 - Feb 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM

You’re as big of a cry baby as this GM with what appears to be an even lower IQ.

2. digbysellers - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hey Murray, Bob Kelly still hates your guts to this very day.

3. pens5829 - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Doesn’t Murray have a history of being a horses a@#?

• bobhpine - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Notice Murray doesn’t even come right out and say he thought it was intentional. Maybe instead of implying that Cooke meant to hurt Karlsson he should just say so. Instead it’s this veiled BS about Cooke’s past.

Tyler Myers ended Malkin’s season. Steckel put Crosby out for 1.5 seasons. Furthermore, when Cooke put a head shot on Ryan McDonagh that netted a 17 games suspension, the Penguins SUPPORTED it.

Spare me the sanctimony.

I also seem to recall Murray implying that Crosby deserved to be hit in the head last year. The whining by this lisping twonk obfuscates the proper sentiment, which is hope that Karlsson comes back healthy and soon.

4. myspaceyourface - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

He needs to be more responsible with his words. Cooke does have a past of hard hits to the glass and head. With that being said, since his suspension nearly 2 years ago, he has been very well behaved.

There is nothing in the replays that I saw that would indicate this was intentional or premeditated.

• wikidpissah - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Cooke’s history is being the dirtiest NHL player of the past 10 years. Not hard hits, cheap, intent to injure hits. Having said that, Cooke was knocked off balance and was trying to regain his feet. There was no intent on the play.

With Cooke’s history, and losing the best defenseman in the league, it’s understandable that Murray would overreact.

• tdrusher225 - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Cooke is responsible for his own reputation, just like we all are. I agree the play was likely unintentional but his reputation says otherwise. I know it’s unfair, but 1 year of being a good citizen doesn’t make up for the previous 10 years of being one of the most dirty, malicious players in the league..

5. withseidelinn - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

No Spezza + No Karlsson = No Playoffs

6. csilojohnson - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

If that was intentional Cooke is the greatest athlete known to man. It would be nearly impossible to pull something like that off. Stop hating people. Stuff happens. Cooke has.not been that player for over a year now. He scored 19 goals last year. The Pens were up 4-2 with a couple minutes left in the game. Not logical to assume intent.

• withseidelinn - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM

You can even see on the front page of TSN.ca Cooke’s expression in the picture of Karlsson getting cut. You can tell he is legitimately surprised. I’m not even close to a Pens fan but people need to use common sense here. It was an accident.

7. dkuether017 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

What a tool. Face it Murray it was a freak play. How about instead of wasting your time complaining to the league, you figure out a way to help your team win.

8. raiderufan - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

3-4 months? I’d say he was very very fortunate. I’m gonna bet he’s wearing 2 pair of kevlar socks next year.

9. broadstbully33 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM

The game was tied 2-2 at the end of second with sens on pp… What game where u watching?

• 19to77 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Your Flyers fandom says more about your theory on what happened than the score or the Senators’ power play, bud. Take off the orange-tinted blinders.

• chanceoffleury1 - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I hate to defend a Philly fan, but broadstbully33 is right. Pause this video at the very start and you’ll see the score is 2-2 and there is :06 left on the powerplay.

• chanceoffleury1 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I feel I should add that I do not at all believe there was any intent. Cooke wouldn’t throw all the progress he’s made over the last 2 years away to intentionally injure one of the best young stars and defenseman in the league right now. 2 years ago the Pens laid down the law and said if he doesn’t change his ways he’s out of the locker room for good. He’s finally starting to change his reputation from one of the dirtiest guys in the league, to a reformed 3rd liner capable of putting up some decent stats. I don’t think Cooke would give up his entire career to *maybe* win one tied hockey game at the beginning of the season.

10. pdmjr - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Murray needs to calm down. Those plays along the boards happen many times a night in the NHL/

Players are taught the technique that Cooke used when pinning a player along the boards.

Unfortunately his achilles got scraped. Perhaps a higher Boot pad is needed.

11. broadstbully33 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

There is nothing “Philly biased” about what I said. It didn’t even involve Philly at all. I was just stating the facts. And yet somehow in the troll. Cooked foot should have not been that high off the ice and he did come down a lil to hard if he was just reostioning his on foot. It a sad situation for Karllson he could of very well been on his way to his second Norris trophy. Especially with the way weber chara and doughty his main competition our playing early on

• jpelle82 - Feb 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

letang should be the shoo-in this year for the norris now

12. kaptaanamerica - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Matt Cooke doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. He is A repeat offender who needs to be held to a higher standard.

• miketoasty - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Sorry but that’s not how it works, and rightfully so. Not that there was any intent their what so ever, so I don’t even know what you are talking about.

13. kicksave1980 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I don’t think it was malicious, but you really can’t blame Murray for being so outspoken less that 24 hours after the fact. He’s seen Spezza go down, and now Karlsson. That’s bound to make any GM a little touchy, regardless of reason. I’d probably be irrational if I were in his shoes today, too.

• jpelle82 - Feb 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM

both go down against the penguins too…plus those playoff eliminations in a row a few years back….there must be some underlying hatred for the pens

14. johngaltx - Feb 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I was at the game and it appeared to be a simple smack into the boards, they were all doing it, all game long. Go into the corner with a guy, smack him into the boards. No big deal. When I heard after the game what happened I wondered how Cooke’s skate sliced all the way through Karlsson’s protective gear. The play was down in front of me to my right, so I did not see the full play. But he did not slice through Karlsson’s protective gear—he was not wearing any protective gear. Being a defenceman, who constantly finds himself racing into the backboards for pucks, it would seem that management would insist that their blue-liners where some type of protection to help prevent these types of injuries. Some blame must go to the guy that let his star player chose comfort over safety.

15. broadstbully33 - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Let ang is a defensive liability. The only shot he has is if Karllson gets a season ending injury. Oh wait… Coincidence?

• chanceoffleury1 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Letang had the highest plus minus on the team last year (+21) and plays on the penalty kill all the time. He can’t possibly be that much of a defensive liability. And Pietrangelo, Enstrom, Subban and Shattenkirk don’t seem to plan on just handing Letang a Norris nod now that Karlsson’s out. If Letang gets a nod, he’ll surely have earned it.

16. bubblehead22 - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Why does philly fan always have something to say about anything involving the PENS? Aren’t you still drunk from your “we won a play off series” parade last year?

This injury is terrible and sucks for Karlsson. I understand the the team’s and city’s reaction. It’s unfortunate for Cooke to be involved, he does have a dirty history. I don’t think this was intentional and some people will say that it was and their minds can’t be changed. I hope he recovers.

17. 950003cups - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Cooke needs a career ending concussion or perhaps a slice to his achilles. The low life has a large history of this stuff. Just cause he behaves “well” for a year, and by “we’ll” you mean he hasn’t intentionally tried to end someone’s career, doesn’t mean anything. He tried to “behave” and he couldn’t help himself. He’s back to being the Cooke we all know and are disgusted of. Pens fans coming to his defense are scum! Admit it. If the tables were turned you would be singing a different tune. Like when Crosby brushed by Steckel and lost a year. You were all about how Steckel was a bad man. Etc…..

Cooke had used his skate blade in the past. Once he was in his back in the goal crease and swung it by Osgood’s neck AFTER A WHISTLE!! It’s in YouTube.com. This douche and his excuse makers, need to disappear.

18. jaybaileys - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I can see why Murray is pissed, his best player just got knocked out for the year and he knows it. The Pens had no idea Sid would be out for as long as he was. Bylsma called it a minor concussion the day after. The Geno thing with Tyler Myers was a hockey play turned bad, could happen in any game. Unfortunately Geno tore up his knee. You lose your best 2 guys and you end up losing to Tampa in 1st round of the playoffs that year. I don’t remember Ray Shero badmouthing anyone for those injuries though. Murray definitely has an axe to grind with the Pens. Seem to remember him making some remarks about Crosby not too long ago. He’s pissed his best guy is out and Cooke being the player involved gives him more reason to loudly complain. Can’t say I blame him totally, but he probably could have handled it better. I don’t think Cooke went into the corner with intent to injure the guy, but with his checkered past I can see why some folks may be skeptical. You could tell the Sens. were down though, just didn’t have the same jump in the 3rd after losing 65.

19. tackledummy1505 - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Is anybody surprised here? I said that the NHL wouldn’t do anything because he’s a Penguin. All other teams should take note and protect their stars. If Karlesson can’t come back as he once was than Matt Cooke has achieved ruining 2 superstar player’s careers and has gotten away with it. Way to go NHL, you’re really doing a bang up job protecting people from a goon

Top 10 NHL Player Searches