Feb 14, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray addressed the media this afternoon, roughly 14 hours after learning star defenseman Erik Karlsson would be lost for the season after suffering an Achilles laceration against Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.
He didn’t bother mincing words.
“Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70 percent cut in his Achilles, and recovery is 3-4 months,” Murray said. “His year is finished at this time.”
TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes that the silver lining — if there is one — is that Karlsson’s Achilles wasn’t severed completely.
Repairing a 100 percent cut apparently requires a “shortening” of the tendon, which can complicate the recovery process.
In his address, Murray also mentioned he spoke to NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan after the league ruled there would be no supplemental discipline for Matt Cooke, the Penguins forward that lacerated Karlsson’s Achilles on a second-period hit.
“They suggested it was a hockey play gone bad,” Murray said. “I suggested Cooke has somewhat of a history.”
In other news from Murray’s presser:
– On trying to replace Karlsson via trade: “I’ve made some calls about different players. Nobody willing to give me a player for a player not in the league yet,” he explained. “I don’t want to give up the best prospect in my organization for a short-term guy here.” Murray also said he doesn’t want to give up first-round picks.
– He said Karlsson wasn’t wearing the protective Kevlar socks that more NHLers have turned to in recent years. Detroit forward Valtteri Filppula became the first Wing to wear them last season after sustaining a skate blade cut on his shin in December.
– He also added that Karlsson was “angry” about the incident but said the reigning Norris Trophy winner would be fine. “He’s a strong guy, and he’s confident,” Murray explained.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)