Feb 14, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have have lost five of their first seven games to begin the month of February and have slipped three points back of the New York Rangers for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
But, from the reports out of Buffalo, head coach Lindy Ruff was singing a positive tune this Valentine’s Day.
“We’ll find it. We’ve gone through it,” Ruff told the Buffalo News.
“We knew we were a little young down the middle but it will come. I’m confident it will come. It’s all on me to clean this mess up. I’m not done trying.
“It is on me. I understand that. This is on me to clean it up.”
The Sabres are two days removed from a 2-0 loss to the Ottawa Senators, and will host the Boston Bruins Friday.
Ruff currently holds the longest active tenure as a head coach with the same club in the National Hockey League, and, according to an article out St. Louis Post-Dispatch four days ago, had the fifth longest tenure among coaches from the other major sports leagues in baseball, basketball and football.
However, Ruff’s time with the Sabres has been called into question, particularly by Buffalo News sports columnist Bucky Gleason.
“Most are stunned Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff have survived when common sense called for their dismissal long ago,” Gleason wrote four days ago.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Jul 28, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Potentially a move to Switzerland, or the Czech League.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Returning him to Rochester for a third time.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
Washington d-man is expected to miss the next two weeks of offseason training.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
Swiss winger came over from Calgary at last year’s deadline.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Nice payday after posting a career-high in goals this season.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
“When you look at the structure of our salaries and our cap, it’s important to get those bottom-six cap hits in better shape.”
Jul 28, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
With the Nurnberg Ice Tigers.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Winning bid to be decided by the end of the year.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
“When the games mean something, that’s when he’s at his best.”
Jul 28, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have done well. The Canucks have not.
Jul 28, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Probably looking at another year of junior hockey.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT
Busy day for Pittsburgh.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
Jul 28, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
Could be a top-six winger. Could be a third-line center.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Arbitration hearing scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
25-year-old didn’t file for arbitration, hoping instead to sign a long-term contract.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
In the form of a cool $100,000.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
But are any teams mulling his return?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Where he’ll work as a community liaison.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)