Feb 14, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Bennett, 21, was Pittsburgh’s first-round selection (20th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is the highest-drafted California-born player in league history.
He currently sits second in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in assists (18) and fourth in points (25) and was chosen to represent the Penguins at the 2013 AHL All-Star Game.
This is Bennett’s first season of professional hockey, having spent the last two years at the University of Denver.
He could make his NHL debut Friday, when the Penguins take on the Jets in Winnipeg.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 10
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 18
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)