Feb 14, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
Bennett, 21, was Pittsburgh’s first-round selection (20th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is the highest-drafted California-born player in league history.
He currently sits second in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in assists (18) and fourth in points (25) and was chosen to represent the Penguins at the 2013 AHL All-Star Game.
This is Bennett’s first season of professional hockey, having spent the last two years at the University of Denver.
He could make his NHL debut Friday, when the Penguins take on the Jets in Winnipeg.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)