Feb 14, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Bennett, 21, was Pittsburgh’s first-round selection (20th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is the highest-drafted California-born player in league history.
He currently sits second in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in assists (18) and fourth in points (25) and was chosen to represent the Penguins at the 2013 AHL All-Star Game.
This is Bennett’s first season of professional hockey, having spent the last two years at the University of Denver.
He could make his NHL debut Friday, when the Penguins take on the Jets in Winnipeg.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)