Feb 14, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
The winds that brought the Toronto Maple Leafs a four-game winning streak changed direction, at least for one night, in Raleigh.
The Leafs gave up a trio of goals in the second period and dropped a 3-1 decision on the road to the Carolina Hurricanes. It was a result that drew the criticism of Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle.
“We were half a step behind all night,” Carlyle told the Toronto Sun. “The level of hockey being played was no where near high enough from our standpoint.”
Staal started the season without a point in his first two games.
The Hurricanes now have five wins in their last seven games, and points in six of those games. The Hurricanes also completed a six-game road trip Tuesday.
“That’s a common trend (and) the coaches did a really good job of addressing that in our meetings,” Hurricanes goalie Dan Ellis, told the Raleigh News and Observer.
“They constantly made us aware that, ‘Guys, it’s almost like an extra road game. Let’s approach it with the mentality you want to finish the road trip strong, even though you’re at home.’
“That’s what we did. We gave a good push and got a good win against a hot team.”
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (67)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games