Feb 14, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
The winds that brought the Toronto Maple Leafs a four-game winning streak changed direction, at least for one night, in Raleigh.
The Leafs gave up a trio of goals in the second period and dropped a 3-1 decision on the road to the Carolina Hurricanes. It was a result that drew the criticism of Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle.
“We were half a step behind all night,” Carlyle told the Toronto Sun. “The level of hockey being played was no where near high enough from our standpoint.”
Staal started the season without a point in his first two games.
The Hurricanes now have five wins in their last seven games, and points in six of those games. The Hurricanes also completed a six-game road trip Tuesday.
“That’s a common trend (and) the coaches did a really good job of addressing that in our meetings,” Hurricanes goalie Dan Ellis, told the Raleigh News and Observer.
“They constantly made us aware that, ‘Guys, it’s almost like an extra road game. Let’s approach it with the mentality you want to finish the road trip strong, even though you’re at home.’
“That’s what we did. We gave a good push and got a good win against a hot team.”
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)