Kane clarifies comment, says he was referring to social media

Feb 14, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT

Evander Kane

Today in Winnipeg, Jets forward Evander Kane clarified a comment he made to The Hockey News in which he suggested he’s treated differently because he’s black.

Kane said he was only referring to things that are said about him on social media.

“In terms of that quote, I’m definitely referring to social media and that sort of stuff,” Kane said, per the Winnipeg Free Press.

“Nobody has ever, and I don’t think anybody will ever come up to my face and say anything negative. It’s more so on that. Anybody can go on and have a look for themselves.

“Twitter, anything. I don’t have a lot of the social media. I have a Twitter account but that’s pretty much it.

“Just different things that people can hide behind a computer and say what they want.”

Kane also admitted today that playing hockey in Winnipeg can be like living in a “fishbowl.” If the 21-year-old played in a big American market, he doesn’t think he’d get so much attention.

“They’ve got bigger things to talk about in New York,” he said.

He added: “In terms of the money picture, the haircuts, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that if that’s going to ruin your day, if that’s going to upset you, cause you to lose sleep, I mean, it’s not really a concern of mine.”

Latest Posts
  1. Cooke: ‘I have fire in my belly, I still feel I can play’

Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Matt Cooke Matt Cooke

The 36-year-old is still looking for a contract after being bought out by the Wild.

2. Poll: Will Minnesota’s power play improve this season?

Aug 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

The Wild ranked 27th overall last season with the man advantage.

3. Wild’s biggest question: Who will step up at center?

Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Mikael Granlund Mikael Granlund

Granlund scored just eight goals last season while playing between Pominville and Parise.

4. Looking to make the leap: Mike Reilly

Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional

He’s hoping to crack the Wild’s opening night roster after three seasons at the University of Minnesota.

5. Under Pressure: Devan Dubnyk

Aug 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

Devan Dubnyk Devan Dubnyk

He’ll have to prove last season was not a fluke.

6. Report: Ballard, Leopold leaning towards retirement

Aug 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Keith Ballard Keith Ballard

Both blue liners are unrestricted free agents.

7. Wild ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 30, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Zach Parise Getty Images

Can they take a step forward this season?

8. Glencross regrets taking hometown discount

Aug 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Curtis Glencross Getty Images

He’s currently an unrestricted free agent.

9. Under Pressure: Brandon Saad

Aug 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Getty Images

Columbus bet heavily on him this summer.

10. Poll: Will Columbus win its first playoff series?

Aug 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

Ryan Johansen Getty Images

Just making the postseason would be seen as a good season, but perhaps the Blue Jackets are in position to do more.

11. Looking to make the leap: Sonny Milano

Aug 29, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

Sonny Milano Getty Images

This will be his first full season as a pro.

12. Tributes pour in for Al Arbour

Aug 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Islanders Getty Images

“We did lose a great man.”

13. Blue Jackets ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Scott Hartnell Getty Images

The Blue Jackets have to hope for better health this season.

14. It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day at PHT

Aug 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Ryan Johansen AP

Looking to bounce back after an injury-ravaged campaign.

15. Calder runner-up Stone says injured wrist is ‘100 percent’

Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT

150829_MarkStone Getty Images

You know, the one injured on “that” slash from P.K. Subban.

16. Pens sign prospect Sprong to entry-level deal

Aug 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

2015 NHL Draft - Portraits 2015 NHL Draft - Portraits

The club’s top pick at this year’s draft.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches