Kane clarifies comment, says he was referring to social media

Feb 14, 2013, 4:18 PM EDT

Evander Kane

Today in Winnipeg, Jets forward Evander Kane clarified a comment he made to The Hockey News in which he suggested he’s treated differently because he’s black.

Kane said he was only referring to things that are said about him on social media.

“In terms of that quote, I’m definitely referring to social media and that sort of stuff,” Kane said, per the Winnipeg Free Press.

“Nobody has ever, and I don’t think anybody will ever come up to my face and say anything negative. It’s more so on that. Anybody can go on and have a look for themselves.

“Twitter, anything. I don’t have a lot of the social media. I have a Twitter account but that’s pretty much it.

“Just different things that people can hide behind a computer and say what they want.”

Kane also admitted today that playing hockey in Winnipeg can be like living in a “fishbowl.” If the 21-year-old played in a big American market, he doesn’t think he’d get so much attention.

“They’ve got bigger things to talk about in New York,” he said.

He added: “In terms of the money picture, the haircuts, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that if that’s going to ruin your day, if that’s going to upset you, cause you to lose sleep, I mean, it’s not really a concern of mine.”

1. jjregan21 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Still a douche

• somekat - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

disagree

he is an even bigger douche than I thought he was yesterday

• bcsteele - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I second that…

I said it awhile back during the haircut thing…

I hate to openly bash people,

but what a tool.

2. sportsfreak13 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Patrick Kane is in chicago (big american market) and he was under some heavy scrutiny in the past. Maybe its just something with the “Kane” name.

3. kaptaanamerica - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

He should learn to economize his words’.

4. hockeywithdrawal - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Oh man…those comments about Winnepeg…he just keeps digging it deeper…

5. 19to77 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Tomorrow’s headline: “Kane tries to change remarks, manages to insult city of Winnipeg instead.”

6. ethanmacleod1685 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I thought he was Asian……. wow, just blew my mind!

• 19to77 - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

“Cash Yen Big Yen Quadrillionaires”?

7. sergeikremlin - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I’m sure this is what Jets management and ownership wants to hear after signing him to a 6 year, $30 M + deal. Sounds to me like a player who wants to make money and be famous more than win a Stanley Cup.

• sw19womble - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Well, he’s in Winnipeg, so I guess he’s into the whole money and big-fish-in-a-small-pond thing :)

8. jasol20 - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM

“…if that’s going to upset you, cause you to lose sleep, I mean, it’s not really a concern of mine.”

It should be a concern of yours. It would be the concern of a true professional.

9. sheckyrimshot - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

i completely understand where he’s coming from. i dont use the social medias either but i hate the way people talk about me on them.

10. shutyourfivehole - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Too late young man. You said what you said, which was apparently your feelings at the time. Just because everyone realized what a d!ck you are, you can’t try to change it now.

11. mamsy2000 - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Can’t believe Winnipeg management can’t seem to reign Kane in a bit.
    I cut Kane a lot of slack due to him being a millionaire and a celebrity at only 21 yrs old. I would probably be just as bad if not worse. But playing the race card is just plain dumb.

12. capsfan19 - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

You a big ol loser son! Yea yea!

13. lostpuppysyndrome - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Jeez, folks, give it a rest. The kid didn’t even do anything wrong. Keep ruffling feathers, kid! Love it.

• hockeydon10 - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM

14. hockeydon10 - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Isn’t it ironic that he clarifies that he was referring to what people say about him on social media…

…then we get to the message boards and everyone is criticizing him?

Is it extra ironic that so many of these comments are short enough they could be seen on Twitter?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches