Feb 14, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
In late December, Don Cherry stood up for his “buddy” Evander Kane after the Jets forward came under fire for his infamous ‘money phone’ picture.
Now, he’s doing the exact opposite.
Cherry blasted Kane prior to flying to Winnipeg for Friday’s Jets-Penguins game, saying Kane’s comments — claiming a good portion of the criticism he gets is because he’s black — are “absolutely ridiculous.”
“When he says stuff like that, it gets the crowd against him,” Cherry told Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun. “Of all the places, Winnipeg — an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. And whoever’s advising this kid better start advising him, get him under control.
“Because to say a thing like that is absolutely asinine, as far as I’m concerned.”
Cherry has long been a fan of Kane. In 2009, he had Kane appear as one of the touted draft prospects on Hockey Night in Canada prior to Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals between Pittsburgh and Detroit.
But now it seems Grapes has soured (sorry, had to) on the 21-year-old.
“When you act like he acts — if his name was O’Shaugnessy, he’d still get criticized,” Cherry explained to Friesen. “To say it’s racial is ridiculous.
“He’s gotta stop and grow up, keep his mouth shut and just play hockey.”
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)