Feb 14, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
In late December, Don Cherry stood up for his “buddy” Evander Kane after the Jets forward came under fire for his infamous ‘money phone’ picture.
Now, he’s doing the exact opposite.
Cherry blasted Kane prior to flying to Winnipeg for Friday’s Jets-Penguins game, saying Kane’s comments — claiming a good portion of the criticism he gets is because he’s black — are “absolutely ridiculous.”
“When he says stuff like that, it gets the crowd against him,” Cherry told Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun. “Of all the places, Winnipeg — an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. And whoever’s advising this kid better start advising him, get him under control.
“Because to say a thing like that is absolutely asinine, as far as I’m concerned.”
Cherry has long been a fan of Kane. In 2009, he had Kane appear as one of the touted draft prospects on Hockey Night in Canada prior to Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals between Pittsburgh and Detroit.
But now it seems Grapes has soured (sorry, had to) on the 21-year-old.
“When you act like he acts — if his name was O’Shaugnessy, he’d still get criticized,” Cherry explained to Friesen. “To say it’s racial is ridiculous.
“He’s gotta stop and grow up, keep his mouth shut and just play hockey.”
Jun 3, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
The dude from “The Daily Show” and the guy from “American Idol.”
Jun 3, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
But he won’t play tonight.
Jun 3, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Unless Joel Quenneville goes to the line blender…
Jun 3, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan has only scored once in the playoffs.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Rahm Emanuel doesn’t care for Tampa Bay’s controversial ticket policy.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Veteran has spent the last four years with the Arizona organization.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:18 AM EDT
Coin’s been good this postseason. Real good. But will it coin up on the big stage?
Jun 3, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
Jun 3, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Anonymous donor has also been discharged and “is doing extremely well.”
Jun 3, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT
Jacob Markstrom continues to shine in the AHL.
Jun 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
He felt Anaheim’s structure “went right out the window” towards the end of the Western Conference Final.
Jun 3, 2015, 9:01 AM EDT
He wasn’t talking about the first overall selection.
Jun 3, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 3, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
He remains the front runner to fill the spot left by Mike Babcock.
Jun 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
The club is also working on a deal for Andrej Sekera.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The club is bringing in outside help to deal with the off-ice issues.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
He was given permission to explore other opportunities.
Jun 2, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The defenseman signed a six-year, $33 million extension on Tuesday.
Jun 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
His one-year contract is set to expire next month.
Jun 2, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
He was set to become an unrestricted free agent next month.
- Kane, Toews may have toughest assignment yet in Hedman, Stralman 9
- Chicago mayor rips Lightning for being ‘afraid’ to sell tickets to Blackhawks fans 58
- PHT’s Stanley Cup Final picks, once again featuring The Coin 19
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 23
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 7
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 76
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 25
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 12
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)