Feb 14, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have announced that veteran forward Dainius Zubrus underwent wrist surgery on Thursday, a procedure that will sideline him for 4-6 weeks.
Zubrus, 35, had missed the Devils’ last four games with the injury — prior to, he’d scored 1G-3A-4PTS in nine games, averaging over 18 minutes per contest.
It’s safe to assume that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello knew Zubrus would be out for an extended period of time yesterday, as he swung a deal to bring back forward Alexei Ponikarovsky.
New Jersey sent Winnipeg a seventh-round pick in 2013 and a fourth-rounder in 2014 for the 32-year-old forward, who scored scored 18 points in 33 regular season games and nine in 24 playoff contests for the Devils in 2011-12.
Lamoriello told the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti the team wanted to bring Ponikarovsky back as a free agent this summer but was usurped by the Jets, who gave Poni a one-year, $1.8 million contract.
As for Zubrus, this injury couldn’t come at a worse time.
He’s an unrestricted free agent this summer and now in the 35-and-over designation, meaning his next contract will count towards the team’s salary cap regardless of whether he’s on the active roster or not.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks