Feb 14, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
The Dallas Stars have assigned defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to Texas of the American Hockey League.
Oleksiak, 20, was Dallas’ first-round pick (14th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and was called up to the Stars at the end of January, appearing in five games while recording one assist and averaging 15:40 time on ice.
Upon making his NHL debut, Oleksiak became one of just seven active players standing 6-foot-7 or taller (Oleksiak is 6’7, 242 pounds) and also became the tallest player in Dallas franchise history.
Nicknamed the “Big Rig,” Oleksiak will now return to a Texas team he flourished with prior to his call-up. He led all Stars defensemen in scoring with 23 points and represented the team at the 2013 AHL All-Star Game.
Benn, the younger brother of Jamie Benn, has played in eight games for the Stars this year. Dallas also plays in Vancouver on Friday and the Benns are natives of the provincial capital — Victoria — so the timing of the recall would make sense.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 53
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)