Feb 14, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have assigned defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to Texas of the American Hockey League.
Oleksiak, 20, was Dallas’ first-round pick (14th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and was called up to the Stars at the end of January, appearing in five games while recording one assist and averaging 15:40 time on ice.
Upon making his NHL debut, Oleksiak became one of just seven active players standing 6-foot-7 or taller (Oleksiak is 6’7, 242 pounds) and also became the tallest player in Dallas franchise history.
Nicknamed the “Big Rig,” Oleksiak will now return to a Texas team he flourished with prior to his call-up. He led all Stars defensemen in scoring with 23 points and represented the team at the 2013 AHL All-Star Game.
Benn, the younger brother of Jamie Benn, has played in eight games for the Stars this year. Dallas also plays in Vancouver on Friday and the Benns are natives of the provincial capital — Victoria — so the timing of the recall would make sense.
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 20
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 10
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 35
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79