Feb 14, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have assigned defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to Texas of the American Hockey League.
Oleksiak, 20, was Dallas’ first-round pick (14th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and was called up to the Stars at the end of January, appearing in five games while recording one assist and averaging 15:40 time on ice.
Upon making his NHL debut, Oleksiak became one of just seven active players standing 6-foot-7 or taller (Oleksiak is 6’7, 242 pounds) and also became the tallest player in Dallas franchise history.
Nicknamed the “Big Rig,” Oleksiak will now return to a Texas team he flourished with prior to his call-up. He led all Stars defensemen in scoring with 23 points and represented the team at the 2013 AHL All-Star Game.
Benn, the younger brother of Jamie Benn, has played in eight games for the Stars this year. Dallas also plays in Vancouver on Friday and the Benns are natives of the provincial capital — Victoria — so the timing of the recall would make sense.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5