Can Blackhawks continue hot start, match NHL record?

Feb 14, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

The Chicago Blackhawks have started the season by recording points in 13 consecutive games.

Given that roughly a quarter of their schedule is already behind them, it would take a monumental collapse for them to miss the playoffs at this point, but they have more to aim for than just a postseason birth.

If Chicago can avoid regulation losses in each of their next three contests, then they will have tied the 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks by recording at least one point in 16 straight games to start the campaign. Anaheim went on to win the Stanley Cup that season.

The good news for Chicago is that they’ll spend their next six games at home, but they will face San Jose on Friday, Los Angeles on Sunday, and Vancouver on Tuesday. That’s a tough stretch, but nothing has slowed the Blackhawks down so far.

Liam McHugh, Mike Milbury and Keith Jones weighed in on the issue and you can watch that discussion below:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. pone27 - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

It feels real good to be a Hawks fan right now.

You can’t complain about one facet in their game. Even Crawford and Emery are playing terrific.

But the key is our depth. I just pray we keep Carcillo as a healthy scratch when hes ready to fully return.

• chicagobtech - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

You should see some of the people on the Chicago Tribune’s sports articles. They still slam Crawford as being a horrible goalie, that the Blackhawks won’t go anywhere without replacing him. Me? I look at his numbers and am thankful for what the team has.

• pone27 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yeah unfortunately I am born and raised on Long Island, so I am stuck here with NY stuff, but as far as Crawford goes, I personally dont expect to see him maintain this level of skill (hope I am wrong,) but as long as he plays somewhat close to how he is playing now, I have very high hopes for the Blackhawks.

Hope they maintain their heat when I come to Chi Town to see them play the Preds in April

• dadawg77 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

You can complain about Sharp struggles, its a free country to be an idiot.

2. esracerx46 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sure, it’s fun to be a Hawks fan right now. Winning games always is. Matching or beating the 06-07 Ducks start, even better…. but, I would much rather see the Hawks do something else that Ducks team did. Win the Cup.

3. jpelle82 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

the way the sharks are slumping and their pp is on the decline, los angeles not living up to the expectations so far i think they win those no problem – vancouver is a 50/50 just because of the animosity and rivalry there, those kind of games could go either way just because of the emotion though i do believe the hawks outmatch them on paper and by their current play. very plausible.

4. tfaltin - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think they’d be even better if they moved Stalberg up to the 1st line to play with Toews and Hossa and moved Saad down to the third line. Saad does some good things but at some point the production has to come through. The even strength scoring punch of those top two lines would be so hard for any team to match.

5. sjsblitz - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Its always exciting to see any team chase a record. They play my Sharks on Friday and though I’ll be rooting for SJ, a small piece of me will be hoping the ‘Hawks come out with at least an OTL or even a win.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches