Feb 14, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
At the age of 39, forward Andrew Brunette has decided to hang up his skates, but he’s not leaving the game, according to the Star Tribune.
Brunette scored 268 goals and registered 465 assists in 1,110 career games with the Washington Capitals, Nashville Predators, Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild, Colorado Avalanche, and Chicago Blackhawks.
The Ontario-native became an unrestricted free agent this summer and was interested in extending his playing career. However, he’s known for a while, in part because of the lockout, that he might have played in his last NHL game.
“I’ve got one foot in the grave and one foot on the ice with the casket slowly creaking to a close,” Brunette told the Star Tribune in November.
Brunette will now move to the next phase of his career in hockey by serving as a hockey operations advisor for the Minnesota Wild.
“I talked to a couple teams [about working for them], but I came to the decision my heart was in Minnesota,” Brunette said. “It just made sense to be here.”
In his new role, he will help Wild GM Chuck Fletcher in a number of different areas, including prospect evaluation and development, signing free agents, and scouting.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 4
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 31
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)