Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Those of you who enjoy the X’s and O’s of hockey will probably enjoy this MLive.com article in which Detroit coach Mike Babcock explains how the loss of puck-moving defensemen like Nicklas Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski and Brad Stuart has changed the look of the Red Wings.
No longer, Babcock explains, can they rely so much on stretching the ice with long passes; instead, they have to move more as a five-man unit if they want to push the play and keep control of the puck.
“We have to be closer and tighter and more available and better defensively, and sometimes it’s not very pretty, but that’s just the way it is,” Babcock said.
The key, he says, is to be able to hit the opponent’s blue line with speed, which either produces an entry while maintaining possession or a dump and chase with a good chance of retrieval.
“The game’s real simple, the more time you spend in your zone, the less time you spend in their zone, the more you dump the puck because you got no speed on the rush,” Babcock said.
“If you’re efficient coming out and move the puck and you do it right once, you’re coming with speed, you don’t have to dump the puck, you probably get some sort of entry, or at least you give up possession and get it right back. Dumping the puck is awful when you’re just dumping it in and changing. You spend the whole game in your own zone wearing yourself out.”
In a related story, if Babcock can help keep the Red Wings (7-4-2) in the upper echelon of the Western Conference and extend the team’s consecutive playoff appearances streak to 22, he should be right there in the coach of the year discussions.
May 22, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
The match starts at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 22, 2013, 7:13 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
May 22, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
He was pretty good.
May 22, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Series tied 2-2.
May 22, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
You be the judge.
May 22, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
An apology was issued.
May 22, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Turning into a heck of a series.
May 22, 2013, 12:21 AM EDT
Lots happening in this one. More highlights coming, by the way.
May 21, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
Been dealing with plenty of traffic in front of him all throughout playoffs.
May 21, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Does the league take a look at this?
May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Where did this scoring come from?
May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Both make their series debuts tonight.
May 21, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
That’s a long way up to do that.
May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
This might be getting old to him by now.
May 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
He was banged up roughly in Game 3.
May 21, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
A 13-percent rise from last year.
May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Off to a surprising 2-1 series lead over Chicago.
May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’ll replace Peter Horachek, who was fired yesterday.
May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
(His brother is Patrick Roy.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 0
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 17
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 21
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 71
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (72)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car