Feb 13, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
On a points per game basis, last season was Henrik Zetterberg‘s worst since 2003-04.
Not that 69 points in 82 games is pitiful by any means — it was still the most on the Red Wings — but there were definitely times when he was wishing things were going better.
He’s not wishing that right now. With 18 points in 12 games, Detroit’s new captain is third in league scoring and drawing rave reviews from teammates.
“Hank has been huge for us,” defenseman Niklas Kronwall said, per MLive.com. “Right now, he may be as good as I’ve seen him, the stuff he does out there, all the little things right. He’s outworking everybody. Him and [Pavel Datsyuk] are just tremendous.”
Zetterberg’s hot start is actually a continuation of his play in the second half of 2011-12. Post All-Star break, he had 34 points in 32 games.
Things are going pretty well for the team, too. Despite being forced to deal with numerous injuries and the loss of Nicklas Lidstrom, one of the greatest defensemen in NHL history, to retirement, the Red Wings are 7-4-1 — good for sixth in the Western Conference — heading into tonight’s game against the Blues.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 42
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)