Feb 13, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators were scraping together wins despite mounting injuries, but Wednesday could represent a serious problem. Reigning Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson needed help off the ice during tonight’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Karlsson was injured during a battle along the boards with Matt Cooke. It appears that Cooke, 34, caught his skate blade above the Swede’s own left skate.
The NHL doesn’t have an issue with it, however, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Judge the hit for yourself in the video below:
Hockey Buzz’s Travis Yost captured the precise moment:
The incident just happened, so it remains to be seen how severe the injury might be.
The 22-year-old hasn’t really regressed from last year’s breakout pace as many expected. Instead, he has six goals and 10 points in 13 games.
Ottawa just hopes it won’t be for too long.
For more on the impact, watch the video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (61)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)