Feb 13, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators were scraping together wins despite mounting injuries, but Wednesday could represent a serious problem. Reigning Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson needed help off the ice during tonight’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Karlsson was injured during a battle along the boards with Matt Cooke. It appears that Cooke, 34, caught his skate blade above the Swede’s own left skate.
The NHL doesn’t have an issue with it, however, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Judge the hit for yourself in the video below:
Hockey Buzz’s Travis Yost captured the precise moment:
The incident just happened, so it remains to be seen how severe the injury might be.
The 22-year-old hasn’t really regressed from last year’s breakout pace as many expected. Instead, he has six goals and 10 points in 13 games.
Ottawa just hopes it won’t be for too long.
For more on the impact, watch the video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)