Feb 13, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators were scraping together wins despite mounting injuries, but Wednesday could represent a serious problem. Reigning Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson needed help off the ice during tonight’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Karlsson was injured during a battle along the boards with Matt Cooke. It appears that Cooke, 34, caught his skate blade above the Swede’s own left skate.
The NHL doesn’t have an issue with it, however, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Judge the hit for yourself in the video below:
Hockey Buzz’s Travis Yost captured the precise moment:
The incident just happened, so it remains to be seen how severe the injury might be.
The 22-year-old hasn’t really regressed from last year’s breakout pace as many expected. Instead, he has six goals and 10 points in 13 games.
Ottawa just hopes it won’t be for too long.
For more on the impact, watch the video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)