Feb 13, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators were scraping together wins despite mounting injuries, but Wednesday could represent a serious problem. Reigning Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson needed help off the ice during tonight’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Karlsson was injured during a battle along the boards with Matt Cooke. It appears that Cooke, 34, caught his skate blade above the Swede’s own left skate.
The NHL doesn’t have an issue with it, however, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Judge the hit for yourself in the video below:
Hockey Buzz’s Travis Yost captured the precise moment:
The incident just happened, so it remains to be seen how severe the injury might be.
The 22-year-old hasn’t really regressed from last year’s breakout pace as many expected. Instead, he has six goals and 10 points in 13 games.
Ottawa just hopes it won’t be for too long.
For more on the impact, watch the video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 12
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)