Feb 13, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Brutal news from the Ottawa Senators: Erik Karlsson‘s injury will require surgery and that could mean the end of the reigning Norris Trophy winner’s 2013 season.
The official word is that he’s out indefinitely. The injury is described as a lacerated Achilles tendon in his left leg.
Here’s a stunning capture of the injury, via the Associated Press:
This represents the most significant injury the Senators have faced this season, but far from the only one. Jason Spezza is also sidelined indefinitely thanks to back surgery while Milan Michalek, Guillaume Latendresse, Peter Regin and Jared Cowen are also on the sidelines with issues of varying severity.
What kind of impact will this loss have on the Senators? Keith Jones and Mike Milbury weigh in:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Related: Video of the injury.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Playing at least one more season would likely make him Ottawa’s all-time games leader.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
Both teams have struggled lately.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 121
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (121)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)