Feb 13, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Brutal news from the Ottawa Senators: Erik Karlsson‘s injury will require surgery and that could mean the end of the reigning Norris Trophy winner’s 2013 season.
The official word is that he’s out indefinitely. The injury is described as a lacerated Achilles tendon in his left leg.
Here’s a stunning capture of the injury, via the Associated Press:
This represents the most significant injury the Senators have faced this season, but far from the only one. Jason Spezza is also sidelined indefinitely thanks to back surgery while Milan Michalek, Guillaume Latendresse, Peter Regin and Jared Cowen are also on the sidelines with issues of varying severity.
What kind of impact will this loss have on the Senators? Keith Jones and Mike Milbury weigh in:
Related: Video of the injury.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12