Feb 13, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Brutal news from the Ottawa Senators: Erik Karlsson‘s injury will require surgery and that could mean the end of the reigning Norris Trophy winner’s 2013 season.
The official word is that he’s out indefinitely. The injury is described as a lacerated Achilles tendon in his left leg.
Here’s a stunning capture of the injury, via the Associated Press:
This represents the most significant injury the Senators have faced this season, but far from the only one. Jason Spezza is also sidelined indefinitely thanks to back surgery while Milan Michalek, Guillaume Latendresse, Peter Regin and Jared Cowen are also on the sidelines with issues of varying severity.
What kind of impact will this loss have on the Senators? Keith Jones and Mike Milbury weigh in:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Related: Video of the injury.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 100
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (100)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)