Feb 13, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Brutal news from the Ottawa Senators: Erik Karlsson‘s injury will require surgery and that could mean the end of the reigning Norris Trophy winner’s 2013 season.
The official word is that he’s out indefinitely. The injury is described as a lacerated Achilles tendon in his left leg.
Here’s a stunning capture of the injury, via the Associated Press:
This represents the most significant injury the Senators have faced this season, but far from the only one. Jason Spezza is also sidelined indefinitely thanks to back surgery while Milan Michalek, Guillaume Latendresse, Peter Regin and Jared Cowen are also on the sidelines with issues of varying severity.
What kind of impact will this loss have on the Senators? Keith Jones and Mike Milbury weigh in:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Related: Video of the injury.
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 0
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 21
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 32
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Varlamov expected to enter plea on Jan. 22 7
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Red Wings challenge division-leading Bruins (32)