Feb 13, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Brutal news from the Ottawa Senators: Erik Karlsson‘s injury will require surgery and that could mean the end of the reigning Norris Trophy winner’s 2013 season.
The official word is that he’s out indefinitely. The injury is described as a lacerated Achilles tendon in his left leg.
Here’s a stunning capture of the injury, via the Associated Press:
This represents the most significant injury the Senators have faced this season, but far from the only one. Jason Spezza is also sidelined indefinitely thanks to back surgery while Milan Michalek, Guillaume Latendresse, Peter Regin and Jared Cowen are also on the sidelines with issues of varying severity.
What kind of impact will this loss have on the Senators? Keith Jones and Mike Milbury weigh in:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Related: Video of the injury.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)