Feb 13, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
After getting dinged for too many men during the second period of last night’s win over Boston, the New York Rangers now lead the NHL with six bench minor penalties through the first 12 games of the year.
To put that figure in perspective, it’s more bench minors than 14 other NHL clubs — Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Florida, NY Islanders, Ottawa, Dallas, Anaheim, Carolina, St. Louis, Buffalo, Toronto, Colorado and Pittsburgh — have combined.
For another perspective, here’s Rangers head coach John Tortorella.
“Another too-many-men, huh?” he said following Tuesday’s 4-3 shootout win over Boston. “No, I don’t want to expand on it. It stinks, what do you want me to say.
“It’s stupid. It sucks. It’s brutal. I can use a lot of different things.”
All six of New York’s bench minors this season have been of the too-many-men variety, which is a very odd development given the discipline the team has shown in years past.
Last season, the Rangers only had seven bench minors through 82 games, 10th-fewest in the NHL.
To be clear, Tortorella wasn’t putting all the blame on his troops for the lousy changes.
Reports claim Torts was yelling at Anton Stralman following the whistle for too many during the Boston game, but suggested he wasn’t pleased with the linesman for making the call and not giving leeway to the Rangers on a dump-in.
In the future, we suggest Tortorella take the Marc Crawford approach to dealing with this situation:
Once the players hear that, they’ll never make a bad change again.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
No word yet if permission has been granted.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Former Devils alternate captain speaks his mind.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Leaves the AHL as its leading scorer.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Morgan Rielly to follow?
Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been quite the goalie carousel since 2010.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
Minnesota has just five wins from 14 games away from Xcel this season.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
He’d be a huge get for Team Sweden.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
His job might be safe despite the team’s struggles.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
Both players might be suspended for their actions last night.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
This is his third suspension.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
These two teams have gone on very different paths since the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
They beat the Sharks 3-2 via a shootout.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
His Bruins beat Calgary 2-1 on Tuesday.
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)