Feb 13, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
After getting dinged for too many men during the second period of last night’s win over Boston, the New York Rangers now lead the NHL with six bench minor penalties through the first 12 games of the year.
To put that figure in perspective, it’s more bench minors than 14 other NHL clubs — Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Florida, NY Islanders, Ottawa, Dallas, Anaheim, Carolina, St. Louis, Buffalo, Toronto, Colorado and Pittsburgh — have combined.
For another perspective, here’s Rangers head coach John Tortorella.
“Another too-many-men, huh?” he said following Tuesday’s 4-3 shootout win over Boston. “No, I don’t want to expand on it. It stinks, what do you want me to say.
“It’s stupid. It sucks. It’s brutal. I can use a lot of different things.”
All six of New York’s bench minors this season have been of the too-many-men variety, which is a very odd development given the discipline the team has shown in years past.
Last season, the Rangers only had seven bench minors through 82 games, 10th-fewest in the NHL.
To be clear, Tortorella wasn’t putting all the blame on his troops for the lousy changes.
Reports claim Torts was yelling at Anton Stralman following the whistle for too many during the Boston game, but suggested he wasn’t pleased with the linesman for making the call and not giving leeway to the Rangers on a dump-in.
In the future, we suggest Tortorella take the Marc Crawford approach to dealing with this situation:
Once the players hear that, they’ll never make a bad change again.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)