Nugent-Hopkins on 23-game goalless drought: ‘I don’t want to let it get the best of me’

Feb 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Getty Images

After a rookie season that saw him score 52 points and earn a Calder Trophy nomination, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was used to things going his way.

This season, he’s figuring out how to deal with the opposite.

The Oilers forward hasn’t scored once through 12 games this season, extending his goalless drought to 23 consecutive games.

“I want to help out the team at both ends of the ice and right now, I’m not offensively,” Nugent-Hopkins told the Edmonton Journal following Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to Dallas. “I’ll keep working on it but I don’t want to get frustrated.

“I don’t want to let it get the best of me.”

Nugent-Hopkins isn’t unaccustomed to goalless droughts. He had a 12-game streak during his rookie campaign and finished the year by failing to find the back of the net in 11 straight — yet still finished the season with 18 goals in 62 games, fourth among all rookies.

Oilers head coach Ralph Kruger tried to kickstart Nuge on Tuesday night by reuniting him on the “Kid Line” with Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. The trio finished with 18 shots on goal, with Hall scoring Edmonton’s lone marker.

Nugent-Hopkins saw it as a step in the right direction.

“We have to find a way,” he explained. “As I said before, it can get frustrating if you let it. I thought all the lines did a great job of getting pucks to the net.”

Latest Posts
  1. Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau

Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Seven Getty Images

Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?

2. Columbus reacts to Horton (back) being out indefinitely

Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.

3. Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.

4. Jagr: ‘I want to play until 50′

Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Jaromir Jagr, Travis Zajac AP

Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.

5. Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks

Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Willie Desjardins AP

“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”

6. Silent Blue: Armstrong will no longer comment on Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Doug Armstrong AP

“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”

7. Rangers to name new captain at end of camp

Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

McDonagh

And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.

8. Eakin, Dillon still without contracts in Dallas

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Cody Eakin, Corey Perry AP

Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.

9. Veteran d-man Lee going to Preds camp on PTO

Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v New York Islanders Getty Images

Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.

10. Ex-1st rounder Barker goes full circle, will attend ‘Hawks camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Cam Barker AP

Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.

11. Wings lose young sniper Mantha (6-8 weeks) to broken tibia

Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

AnthonyMantha

Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.

12. Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin AP

Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.

13. Paul Martin doesn’t expect extension anytime soon

Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - FEBRUARY 03: Paul Martin #7 of the Pittsburgh Penguins skates against the Ottawa Senators during the game at Consol Energy Center on February 3, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.

14. Selanne rips Boudreau in book

Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Teemu Selanne Getty Images

Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Quick (1382)
  2. S. Bennett (1327)
  3. K. Timonen (1177)
  4. P. Rinne (1176)
  5. N. Niederreiter (1166)